Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: webers or delortos?
Toady1

posted on 31/8/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
webers or delortos?

ive had weber dcoe carbs before, what the differnce between them and the delorto's? are they as good as webers?
whitestu

posted on 31/8/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Comparing Webber and Dellorto downdrafts on Aflasud engines the Dellortos allways seemed better. Don't know about DCOEs though.

Stu

DIY Si

posted on 31/8/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen, there's not much in it. Webber's often give a little extra top end, but are heavier on fuel. Oh, and dell'ortos are often cheaper.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Toady1

posted on 31/8/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i take it they sound the same tho?
givemethebighammer

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered motorbike carbs ?

Cheaper
Stay in tune better
Still sound great

(Honda Blackbird carbs on my Zetec)

02GF74

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
from book by Des Hammill:

both are as good; down to personal preference.

D have slightly improved some features of the W, wcih came first.

D have better chke feature.

D accelertor pump is not as compact as W.

I'm pretty sure that D have more chokes/needles to choose from so tuning in finer increments.

Relly depends on which you can find in good cond. and are cheaper.

both fit on same manifold and will use same air filter.

tobymack

posted on 1/9/06 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you considered motorbike carbs ?

Cheaper
Stay in tune better
Still sound great

Really?
Dellortos plus a manfold can be had for less than £100 on ebay (£85 in my case). Are bike carbs with manifold less than that?

In my experience dellortos do not go out of tune- the only time I have had to retune is when I have changed something.

On the other hand, dellortos are probably much heavier than bike carbs and are not as trendy.....

Toby

DIY Si

posted on 1/9/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
The bike carbs themselves could be had for less than £100, but not a manifold too. I've never meant wh=at people mean when they say carbs go off tune. Unless something has come loose, nothing can change. They can get grubby, but can't go off tune. The engine may wear and as such the fueling may now be ff, but the carbs won't differ.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

lotustwincam

posted on 1/9/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
ive had weber dcoe carbs before, what the differnce between them and the delorto's? are they as good as webers?

Having fitted a pair of Dellorto's earlier this year, I know a bit more about them now than a year ago. You may find the following helpful.

One of the physical differences you have to be aware of is that Dellorto's are considerably taller due to the tower at the top. Not normally an issue on a tin top, but might be on a Seven if space under the bonnet is a bit neat.

Dellortos also have a peculiar pump jet mechanism that has a rod protruding underneath. This will cause problems on Xflow engines as it will foul the distributor.

Most of the Dellortos on eBay are OEM equipment off the likes of Alpha's. These will have a suffix letter e.g. DHLA 40H. These versions with the suffix (F onwards I believe) are commonly referred to as emission models. They usually have 5 progression holes and are not as tunable as the earlier non-emission models (no suffix- 3 progression holes).

The emission models will generally work better on the larger engines (1600cc and over) with mild cams.

Most of the information that you read about jetting (Dave Andrews site and Des Hamill book) refer to the non-emission models and won't get you very far with these later models.

Overhaul kits, main and idle jets are quite reasonably priced, but pump jets and emulsion tubes are expensive. For this reason if buying from eBay try to find carbs that have been jetted for your engine spec, and always ensure that the seller confirms that all jets are in place. (The 1st set I bought of eBay had most of the jets stripped out!!)

Throttle spindle wear apparently is something that affects Webers more than Dellortos as does problems with the starting/enrichment device, which incidently I find works great and can't understand why lots of people don't bother connecting.

And yes, they do sound great.:

The above information is correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. E &OE

gazza285

posted on 1/9/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind that a bike carb manifold is just a bit of plate with four tubes welded to it, making your own is a diy proposition. Best to get the mounting face surface ground once you have done though.
I've got one engine running on 45 Webers, and fully intend to build another (I've got the bits already) running with GSX1000 carbs as a drop in spare. Both engines are heavily modified Crossflows.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toady1

posted on 2/9/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the help guys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.