Board logo

unbreakable number plates
thegasmen - 26/4/08 at 10:08 PM

been out today and smashed the number plate again hit a cattle grid number plate is situated underneath the nose cone I dont really want to put a sticker type on the bonnet.I do remember quite a few years ago when i had a thickish flexible number plate which i fitted to an off road motorbike but cant find one now does any one have any ideas where to buy them.

regards mick

Mr Whippy - 26/4/08 at 10:26 PM

simple, get a bit of ali plate and glue it to the back

big_wasa - 26/4/08 at 10:44 PM

I wouldnt .

Better to take a chunk out of the plate instead of the car.

eccsmk - 26/4/08 at 10:51 PM

maybe find some slightly less brittle plastic and get someone to put the backing and letters etc. on it
i dont know why but the plastic plate are made from is always fairly brittle
sorry i dont know anyone who can help you

Humbug - 26/4/08 at 10:59 PM

My front plate is under the nose attached to metal brackets... if something pushes it it just bends back a bit on the brackets.

MKMike - 26/4/08 at 10:59 PM

Try making some from polycarbonate, it's more impact resistant than acrylic perspex type stuff. Polycarbonate is what they make safety glasses & machine guards from so should be good!

eccsmk - 26/4/08 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MKMike
Try making some from polycarbonate, it's more impact resistant than acrylic perspex type stuff. Polycarbonate is what they make safety glasses & machine guards from so should be good!

thats the stuff i was thinking of
doh i really am a dunce

thegasmen - 26/4/08 at 11:29 PM

Cheers guys i think ill give the bracket fixing a try and fit the plate to some perspex i have some of that left over from the aero screen that i made.

redscamp - 27/4/08 at 12:03 AM

ask you motor factor for a "pressed metal"
number plate.
had one made,once the Q was an O botched with a peace of black tape!

blakep82 - 27/4/08 at 12:06 AM

stick on plate, on some sort of faily ridgid rubber? mud guard type stuff

rusty nuts - 27/4/08 at 07:24 AM

Attach it with a couple of shower curtain rings so it hinges out of the way of obstacles? I have mine mounted on the lower section of the nose cone as high as I could get it without obstucting the air intake . Its higher than the lowest point of the chassis and hasn't been hit (yet) It may be possible to get a slightly smaller plate made up??

Guinness - 27/4/08 at 08:18 AM

I've seen a few cars with hinged front number plates. Looks normal parked up or at low speeds. At high speed it folds back!

Mike

DIY Si - 27/4/08 at 08:39 AM

Or just don't bother with one at all. Yes, I know it's a bit naughty, but I've never seen anyone get pulled for it.

indykid - 27/4/08 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thegasmen
Cheers guys i think ill give the bracket fixing a try and fit the plate to some perspex i have some of that left over from the aero screen that i made.

perspex is just a trade name for the same acrylic the number plates are made from. it will shatter if hit.

you need to get some polycarbonate sheet. lexan is its common trade name but any plastic supplier will know what you mean.

tom

kipper - 27/4/08 at 10:55 AM

I have my plate fixed under the nose using a pair of brass backflap hinges.It just folds away if it touches anything.
It also blows up out of sight when making haste if you know what I mean.
Regards Kipper.

eccsmk - 27/4/08 at 11:49 AM

team hellfire havent reported any probs with theirs
hellfire link