Board logo

Mounting Vauxhall red top
paul v6 - 21/10/05 at 08:21 PM

Hi,

I've decided to fit a 2.0 16v vauxhall red top to the locost (£250 from local yard) but wont get my hands on it for a week or two, this will give me time to fiish the chassis!!

The problem is I dont know how much of a gap I need to leave between the G1 and G2 to house the red top?

Any ideas???

Many thanks

Paul

derf - 21/10/05 at 09:00 PM

leave them off the car until you get the engine....

MikeR - 21/10/05 at 11:00 PM

ask NS DEV

ned - 22/10/05 at 07:46 AM

and look in my archive, stu16v, billy, skippad and there was a thread on this very subject a while back..

Ned.

billy - 22/10/05 at 07:57 AM

Make sure its strong.......heavy old lump

paul v6 - 22/10/05 at 09:42 AM

Thanks Guys,

Having studied the above mentioned photo archives I have another concern

I have a standard book chassis dimension wise but its looking like the XE lump may well protude quite a distance from both top and bottom of the engine bay, I'd prefer not to have to mod the sump and dont really want a bulged bonnet either!!

Is the XE not the ideal choice afterall? Would a 4-age make a more compact alternative?

Many thanks

Paul

[Edited on 22/10/05 by paul v6]

jon_haggerty - 22/10/05 at 12:20 PM

A ca18det from a 200sx. Although saying this i havnt actually checked the height yet.....

ned - 22/10/05 at 01:18 PM

Paul,

A 4-age is smaller, but the xe does fit. my car is a standard locost as is nsdev's st locost and stu16v's is pretty standard as is billy's luego locost.

You can get an 8v steel sump cut n shut or buy an expensive ally wet sump from the likes of qed, sbd, westfield etc.

Also remove the belt cover and grind off the belt cover flange on the rocker cover will gain another 3/4". see 'engine positioning photo's in my archive, it will and does fit

Ned.

NS Dev - 24/10/05 at 11:36 AM

Yep, XE will fit (JUST!!!) under Stuart Taylor std bodywork, which is about as small as 7 bodywork gets.

As Ned said, I have removed the lip at the front of the cam cover (will be running without the front and rear belt covers).

I am using a VERY shallow sump, a caterham HPC one, which is as shallow as a dry sump. You will definitely not get the engine in with a std sump!

here are some pics - Sump and bellhousing under car, side view:

sump clearance
sump clearance

Nearside engine mount, std Stuart Taylor "book" chassis:

Nearside Engine mount
Nearside Engine mount

Offside:

Offside engine mount
Offside engine mount

Dummy engine chucked in:

XE dummy engine front view
XE dummy engine front view