Board logo

can fuel tank be part of chassis?
02GF74 - 11/5/07 at 08:43 AM

just wondering, if one were to make a space frame then take some pieces of steel and weld over a box sectin of chassis with some end bits to make it air tight, could that be use to store petrol?

balidey - 11/5/07 at 08:45 AM

I don't like the sound of that, any chassis flex or 'accident' will probably split the joins. But how about fitting a bag tank in the cavity?

3GEComponents - 11/5/07 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I don't like the sound of that, any chassis flex or 'accident' will probably split the joins. But how about fitting a bag tank in the cavity?

That's how the GT40's tanks were done

02GF74 - 11/5/07 at 10:32 AM

As ^^^^ said, should be no different than a separatey mounted tank.

I did consider the flexing but it would be hanging off the main chassis, like on GT40 so shouldn;t have any driving force (engine/suspension) going through those memberm at mose supporting some body work.

Mark Allanson - 11/5/07 at 11:36 AM

Sounds like the safest option to me, you could use the internal triangulation as an unusual swirl pot type device.

scudracer - 11/5/07 at 12:06 PM

Hmmm, IMHO even if you do something like what Buell Motorcycles have done, putting fuel in the side sections of the frame, there wouldn't be enough for a full sized automobile. Also, flexing, safety, etc. ... to many negatives to pursue this idea, to me.

drlloyd - 11/5/07 at 12:16 PM

Interesting thought, if I were to pursue the idea I would also consider the possibility of corrosion and hence fuel contamination. Would this not be easier to limit in a basic fuel tank?

MikeRJ - 11/5/07 at 12:47 PM

No more possibility of corrosion that a fabricated steel tank IMO. I don't think the OP wants to fill up chassis tubes with petrol, but simply integrate a conventional steel fuel tank into the frame.

iank - 11/5/07 at 12:59 PM

If you plan to do it and SVA it I'd suggest calling your local station to see what they say.
It would be a bitch to change once constructed.