Board logo

foam tape betwwen panels and chassis?
siert - 23/3/03 at 10:56 AM

is it a good idea to fit foam tape between the chassis and fibreglass panels??or only on the bottom edges of the bonnet?
anyone got good advice on this.

macspeedy - 23/3/03 at 12:41 PM

I wondered about this one to, think i will use silicon sealant, the foam will probably dissolve if petrol/ oil gets on it, also silcon will be water tight, and will not hold dirt.

[Edited on 23/3/03 by macspeedy]

carnut - 23/3/03 at 01:10 PM

Also silicon will act as adhesive to fasten the panels to the side of the chassis. This will reduce leaks and may make the chassis stiffer. (Ive not tested stiffness of a chassis in this mannor so may make no difference at all) However I do know that ali paneling when riveted on properly can make the chassis stiffer.

theconrodkid - 23/3/03 at 05:24 PM

i think tiger seal or the stuff windscreens are bonded in with would be better,that really stix

Jasper - 23/3/03 at 07:56 PM

I've used thick black non-silicone sealant stuff (cant remember what its called) for all my panels as well as rivets. Got it from my local factors, dont get it from the robbin b*stards who advertise in the mags and go to the shows, it's twice as expensive.

Polyurethane - thats what it is!!!!

[Edited on 24/3/03 by Jasper]

wicket - 23/3/03 at 08:49 PM

This was covered in some detail back in December last year in 'Bodywork & Exterior' in a thread called 'Bondage!'