Board logo

engine smokes
bikkel - 18/9/05 at 07:49 AM

hi all,

my engine developed a bad habit : smoking.

my engine( zx12r) is an ex sidecar racing modified engine and has the
exhaust recirculation (on the camcover)system removed, but there is a
tube mounted on the camcover to connect a hose, that leads to a catch
tank.

The engine smokes quite a lot (blue-ish) from the catch tank only when
revving above 6 K rpm.
My car has not run a lot (total running time +/- 3 hrs), so i dont
know if it's normal ( don't think so)

What could be the problem??
- fit a breather filter to the catch tank

- topped up the mineral oil (bit overfilled) with a fully synthetic oil ( so run mineral again?!)

-i might have slightly buzzed the engine a blittle bit (titanium conrods though) , engine runs ok

- worse than this: engine rebuild
(?perhaps valves bent or not closing completely?)

does anybody have any clues?!

thanks

koen
www.zx12r-indy.tk

suparuss - 18/9/05 at 10:24 AM

id have thought youd want to run synthetic anyway rather than mineral on an engine like that?
i have a breather on me audi engine and it smokes too, cant remember if it was blue or not though. but there was nothing wrong with the engine. infact after about 8 months of running the oil is still golden brown.
im not an expert though!

Peteff - 18/9/05 at 10:42 AM

You don't usually see that as it feeds into the air filter and burns it off.

bikkel - 18/9/05 at 02:52 PM

pete,

your right .

but in my opinion it smoked quite a bit.

any people online that have also removed the emissions bit and led the hose to a catchtank?? they might know if it's unusual.

koen

paul v6 - 18/9/05 at 04:47 PM

If Synthetic and mineral oil have mixed they can congeal. Could this be the problem??

Paul

tks - 18/9/05 at 06:07 PM

why do you use mineral?

mineral oil is used on old engines.
why? because the materials used on old engines don't like syntetic.. it doesn't stick on it....

but an bike engine needs Syntethic oil..!
with suchs high revs you need an fast working oil.... and i bet the problem is the oil it is what you are using or the engine is damaged due the use of a non proper oil.

Oil is not just oil... its not just the question wich one gives teh lowest friction... its allot of more..

- oil is the biggest cooling factor on an engine.
- it should be the most expensive liquid on an car
- it manages directly your engine live..
- clutch live
- gearbox live

10.000rpm is another world instead of 5.000rpm where mineral oils are build for..

I should deffenitly change the complete block from his oil including his filter!

Blue smoke = oil burned.

TKs

tadltd - 18/9/05 at 06:08 PM

Don't mix mineral and synthetic oil!

Suggest you drain it, and fill with semi-synth. Popular opinion is that fully synth is too thin for BEC clutches to work properly, and semi-synth is superior to mineral, so a good compromise.

Our engine smoked out of the catch tank (ZX12) - but it wasn't blue. Sounds like you're burning oil...

[Edited on 18/9/05 by tadltd]