Board logo

FZR 1000 exup
paul v6 - 5/10/05 at 09:47 PM

I'm considering engine options and have the oppertunity to get hold of a 1990 fzr 1000 exup engine at a decent pricewhich suits my minimal buget. I have investigated old posts but have found little regarding this engine. So I have a few questions

Has anyone else fitted one an fzr lump with succes? if so any pics??

Is the steep angle of the cylinders a problem?

Does this lump require dry sumping? i'd rather not do this if possible!!

Regards

Paul

serendipity123 - 5/10/05 at 09:52 PM

i have an fzr 1000, havent fitted it either but we must keep in touch.

Volvorsport - 5/10/05 at 10:09 PM

5 spd gearbox - exup valve should really be kept , good power , a little down on newer bike engines , will have been thrashed at that age - i sold one a while ago - because im a car engined man !

RallyHarry - 5/10/05 at 10:33 PM

Isn't the exup valve created with a normal bike set-up in mind ? i.e. normal intake, normal exaust

So going to BEC application means that your exup valve will try to compensate to something that you really don't want/can get ... just a thought ... I know nothing about bike engines, but a lot about compensating things (faults) with electronics :-)

Cheers

zxrlocost - 6/10/05 at 09:25 AM

the FZR1000 is down on power compared to something like an r1, which is obviously made by the same company

I dont like to say that really as its still a very good engine but it has different characteristics..

The r1 is a full on widow maker engine ballisitic performance its as fearce as you like hence why so many injure themselves on the bike because they have underestimated the engine.

The FZR as far as I know has been fitted before it has very good performance still and i doubt any SUPERCARS would bother you!

The exup has been took off by a lot of kit car owners and instead they have fitted a damn good exhaust sytem and a few more tricks in many cases getting more power from the engine.

chris

G.Man - 6/10/05 at 10:01 AM

The exup helps to cope with the mid range "emissions" flat spot as well as assisting the bottom end and mid range on "stock" exhaust road bikes..

They are ALWAYS removed on race bikes...

That says a lot for their useability on a pukka race system...

evo3500 - 6/10/05 at 05:41 PM

Ive fitted a yamaha thunderace 1000cc which is virtually the same as the fzr 1000 engine,I dont find the performance lacking.As its a 5 speed it has a good wide spread of power and is not all at the top end which is better suited to a car application,also the final drive of the 5th gear is quite high bit like an overdrive as it dosnt have the extra gear my car cruises at 70mph at 5500rpm which isnt to bad see my pictures of the engine in my gt1.

Regards Simon