Board logo

MOT and emissions
alanr - 26/10/06 at 01:11 PM

A general question to all you bike car people but possibly more to Marc at MNR

My first MOT will be due next year - the car was registered in 2004 albeit on a ""G"" plate relating to the donor and has a '97 Fireblade

How will I be able to pass the emissions part of the MOT as the MOT man will have to comply with the emission figures detailed on the Registration Document --- any help or advice would be appreciated

A

[Edited on 26/10/06 by alanr]

Jubal - 26/10/06 at 02:12 PM

Interested too. I am in the same boat next year. But my V5 hasn't got any figures in there for emissions.

G.Man - 26/10/06 at 03:23 PM

Age related so its that applicable to a G-Reg car...

alanr - 26/10/06 at 03:36 PM

I hope you are right Gman - I need to check the figures that are on the Reg Doc but if it is age related as you suggested, how has the car got away with no MOT for the first 3 years

A

russbost - 26/10/06 at 04:06 PM

Take a look here:-
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52224

G.Man - 26/10/06 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alanr
I hope you are right Gman - I need to check the figures that are on the Reg Doc but if it is age related as you suggested, how has the car got away with no MOT for the first 3 years

A

All kit cars that go through an SVA are exempt from MOT for first 3 years..

Mine doesnt even have the emissions stuff on the V5...

oliwb - 26/10/06 at 07:47 PM

If it has emissions limits on the V5 (which it should - mine does and its on a 1970 H reg - pinto) then the MOT man must test it to these figures.....this should be totaly regardless to the reg plate etc as its the engine age....if you needed a CAT to pass SVA you'll need it to pass MOT....Sorry for being a bit sharp but it annoys me how many ppl don't read it and mess it up! Oli.

PS.
This is also the case for Q-plates....if its on the V5 then MOT man test to that, if it aint its a visible smoke test.....

G.Man - 26/10/06 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
If it has emissions limits on the V5 (which it should - mine does and its on a 1970 H reg - pinto) then the MOT man must test it to these figures.....this should be totaly regardless to the reg plate etc as its the engine age....if you needed a CAT to pass SVA you'll need it to pass MOT....Sorry for being a bit sharp but it annoys me how many ppl don't read it and mess it up! Oli.

PS.
This is also the case for Q-plates....if its on the V5 then MOT man test to that, if it aint its a visible smoke test.....

This seems to vary quite a bit, as mine has no emissions figures on the V5 but used a cat for MOT..

Date of first use is shown as 1990 and date of first reg in UK is 2005...

Mine was SVA'd last year...

The information is both inconsistent as are the V5's

G.Man - 26/10/06 at 09:04 PM

Even the page of the testers manual is inconsistent...

Mine was SVA'd but shows a date of first use as 1990 and is on a G plate, earlier than an S plate...

oliwb - 27/10/06 at 07:20 AM

G.Man I think you've just gotten lucky! If there are no limits on your v5 it should be a visual smoke test....though the tester may decide to do either:
- a visual smoke test,
- a G-reg yr related test, or even
- a test relating to the year of your engine.....
I guess you wont know till your first MOT! Oli.

Edit: forgot to say your diagram refers only to the SVA test where they need proof of engine age and emissions are based on this....MOT is different. It goes buy reg age, or in case of SVA'd cars the limits on the V5. Not these limits don't change....so why doesn't everyone build a X-flow powered locost then swap it out for a modern bike or car engine??? Oli.

[Edited on 27/10/06 by oliwb]

G.Man - 27/10/06 at 07:56 AM

I had an MOT 4 months ago in Cyprus...

It passed

alanr - 27/10/06 at 08:07 AM

I better bring the car over to Cyprus then

A

G.Man - 27/10/06 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alanr
I better bring the car over to Cyprus then

A

Trust me on this, it will be less hassle to just fit a cat and get it MOT's in UK...

alanr - 27/10/06 at 11:15 AM

you're right but I just fancy the idea of coming over to Cyprus

oliwb - 28/10/06 at 09:55 PM

Sure there must be more 7'ing weather over there than here right now! My car is slowly filling with rain water as unfortunately its sat outside while the roof of the shed is re-done....sometime b4 xmas....bluh...Oli.

G.Man - 29/10/06 at 07:41 AM

hehe you wouldnt believe how many thunderstorms we have had recently..

But yes, I am sure its slightly better than uk