Board logo

Which Gear Indicator
mike smith1 - 8/11/06 at 01:57 PM

Looking to get a gear indicator for the car,

919 Fireblade 1997,

Just wondered which is the most popular install, Acumen or Datatool?

Any pro's and con's I should consider?

Oh and final point were is the best and cheapest supplier

Thanks in advance

Mike

angus.d - 8/11/06 at 03:51 PM

Hi Mike

Check out www.geartronics.co.uk

Although a bit more expensive than some, less prone to the errors from cheaper systems which I think compare speed to revs and could be inaccurate.

There is a FAQ page also with some answers to common questions

Cheers

Angus

jimgiblett - 8/11/06 at 06:25 PM

£120 + Vat ouch. IIRC the Blade changed its speedo output from mechanical to electronic in the later versions of the 919.

If the speedo is electronic from the gearbox then shouldnt be a problem.

If it is mechanical then I know of a number of people who have had real problems getting either the Data tool or Acumen gear indicators to work as the speedo feed has needed to be from a hall sensor the quality of which doesnt seem to be of high enough quality for the Data tool or Acumen gear indicators.

If in doubt I would get a cheap Datatool / Acumen one off ebay too try first. If it doesnt just pop it back on ebay and it shouldnt cost you anything.

- Jim

mike smith1 - 9/11/06 at 09:27 AM

Thanks Jim,

You are quite right about the speedo sensor on the 97 but i have a later sensor (from the gearbox) and have 2 magnets mounted on the propshaft adaptor so that should get away from that problem.

Mike

iiyama - 9/11/06 at 10:09 AM

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=142

Try one of these??

mike smith1 - 9/11/06 at 11:35 AM

iiyama thanks, yeah think i've settled on a Acumen, little bit cheaper than on their website found it on www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk for £48.00 ish.

Mike

iiyama - 9/11/06 at 12:10 PM

Thats about what I paid for mine off fleebay!

mike smith1 - 9/11/06 at 02:11 PM

51.29 Delivered! Next thing will be fitting it, should be fun! I'm not very electrically minded (red to red, black to black plug it in and stand well back!) Instructions look simple enough! Will let u know how i go on at least its only 12V!!

Mike

iiyama - 9/11/06 at 02:16 PM

Just follow use the girly method and you cant go wrong!

ie read the instructions!!

alanr - 10/11/06 at 09:06 AM

for me it's cheaper and just as easy to count the gear changes up and down -- I usually get it right (sometimes try to change into 7th !!!!!!!!)

mike smith1 - 10/11/06 at 09:13 AM

From my experience when on track (which is very little and as a passenger so far!!!!) it is very difficult to establish what gear you are in coming into corners etc.

Mike