Board logo

R1 clutch wear
smart51 - 20/11/06 at 03:31 PM

Some people worry about bike clutch wear in a BEC. I've taken taken the clutch out of my 98 R1 after a year and 4000 miles of use, including 1 track day, ready to put in my new engine. The plates have worn by pricisely 0.0 mm acording to my vernier calipers. Thats with a Barnet plate and springs and with EBC standard plates.

I must be doing something wrong

TimC - 20/11/06 at 03:37 PM

That's good news for me!

How's the poorly powerplant?

nitram38 - 20/11/06 at 04:04 PM

That's good news.........I have just bougt a barnet conversion!!!!!!!!

smart51 - 20/11/06 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
How's the poorly powerplant?

In need of a good home. It runs quite well from 4000 - 12000 RPM. Pulling away from the lights, its touch and go. Compression is low and shoots up with oil in the bores. The bores look fine and the honing marks are still clear. I've been told that piston skirt wear with high milage. This leads to the piston siting at a slight angle on the compression stroke and presenting an oval profile to the bore, reducing compression. It's in good condition otherwise. The gearbox is good, with 3 new gears and a selector fork. Lots of the gaskets are new. The head is good condition. all the valves seat nicely and the valve clearances are all OK. It would be a nice engine for someone to rebuild, if that's their thing. If anyone wants a spare for reasoanble money...

[Edited on 20-11-2006 by smart51]

alanr - 20/11/06 at 04:35 PM

how gentle have you been with it for those 4000 miles

smart51 - 20/11/06 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alanr
how gentle have you been with it for those 4000 miles

I'm usually fairly gentle when pulling away and have only done a full bore standing start a couple of times. Once rolling I accelerate as hard and fast as the car / road / traffic permit, quite often to the red line.

I do clutchless upshifts if I'm accelerating but cluched upshifts if at a steady speed.

I guess it must be the full throttle-high revs standing starts that do all the damage.