Board logo

clutch?
mic - 6/1/08 at 06:08 AM

ive had a read but cant find any info on bike engine clutches! i really dont know much about bike engines at all ive seen a few vids on youtube and it seems like people use a gearstick to shift but dont have a clutch pedal! have i missed something?

cheers

mic

worX - 6/1/08 at 06:28 AM

If you've seen videos on youtube of people NOT using a clutch pedal to change gear, it's most likely because those people have a type of trickshifter (air or more likely electronic) to help them change gear.

The common practice for using a Bike Engine in a Car is for it to have the same pedal layout as a normal car does, with a clutch pedal and that is used in a conventional manner.
If, however, you've ridden a bike before, or you choose to, you can easily change gear without using a clutch on the upshifts (it's not worth doing on downshifts).

The Gear change mechanism usually comes in two types nowadays also - A conventional looking shifter/knob which only moves forwards and backwards, and a Paddle place behind the steering wheel which usually has a rod or a cable coming off one side off it and accomplishes the same task.

HTH
Steve

BenB - 6/1/08 at 12:04 PM

You can do clutchless shifts with quite a few bike engines don't forget Nothing to do with trickshifters or anything like that. Some will do a clutchless upshift, some will do the downshift as well...
Of course you still need a clutch for up-hill starts, pulling away at traffic lights etc.... So you'll still need a clutch pedal- and quite a few bike engines aren't so keen on clutchless downshifts...

zxrlocost - 6/1/08 at 12:12 PM

as steve says

the clutch cable off the engine goes down into the footwell and you have proper pedals like a normal car

when going up the gears you can clutchless upshift

Crazy Eddie - 6/1/08 at 05:56 PM

Some of those videos may be a bit misleading too.
One of the great things about a BEC is that it comes with a sequential box and so the gear changes are very quick so it may even be that they are using a clutch but because it is such a quick motion it looks like they aren't.
Or as has been stated must BEC's can upshift just by rolling off throttle and change gear with no clutch. Or if a trickshifter is on then they could alst do the downshift too (Pesronally rather do it myself than Trickshift but that's for another thread I guess )