Board logo

Rover K series?
flidz101 - 2/4/06 at 05:06 PM

Why don't people use Rover K series engines in locosts? I understand there is a bit of an issue with the gearbox bellhousing, but surely there is a fix for this?

Head gaskets are also a worry, but I can fit a tuned head & get around this.

I ask because I might be able to get a rover engine for cheap from a friend, who's removed it from his elise.

Any help fpr the clueless?

Tim

CommanderAce - 2/4/06 at 05:17 PM

You got it! The bellhousing to mate the gearbox costs ~£250!

flidz101 - 2/4/06 at 05:27 PM

But if I can get a motorsport 190 engine for peanuts surely £250 is worth it?

CommanderAce - 2/4/06 at 05:31 PM

That sir, is up to you and your budget!
Personally I think its a bit of a rip off

Edit: £259 actually!

Have fun
Pete

[Edited on 2-4-06 by CommanderAce]

flidz101 - 2/4/06 at 05:37 PM

LOL

Each to their own, I suppose. Thanks for your help!

CommanderAce - 2/4/06 at 05:39 PM

no probs

Let us all know how you get on!

Pete

donut - 2/4/06 at 06:12 PM

quote:

I would!

MikeRJ - 2/4/06 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flidz101

I would say that's a big YES! This engine could have been designed for use in a Locost; small, very light, powerfull enough and relatively cheap. The bellhousing is a bit pricey compared to the one I recently bought for my 20XE, but really not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things if you can get the engine cheap.

Surrey Dave - 2/4/06 at 06:29 PM

Is it right that you can use the standard fuel injection on the 'K' series? , if so that is quite a saving, offsets the cost of the bellhousing.

'Humbug' and 'Stressy' on here have 'k' series fitted..........

britishtrident - 2/4/06 at 06:32 PM

Apart from gearbox bellhousing cost the main problem has always been the Rover MEMS ECUs built in security system which changed a few times over the years the Rover 75 security system is more complex to deal with than an early Metro Gti. On early versions of MEMS system some ECU reconditioners sold reconditioned ECU which by-passed the security system however this isn't available for the later MEMS 3 system.

Basically the cars security ECU, the engine MEMS Ecu and the flywheel reluctor ring and key tab blipper are aligned together using the dealer diagnostic "Testbook" system so doing the transplant means getting the the ecus, key fob and great hunks of wiring loom from the donor.

Some builders have done this but others have chose the siimpler route and used an aftermarket ECU such as the Emerald which can even be bought with a Rover MEMS plug this a simpler but expensive option. More recently Megasquirt has caught on in the UK this is cheaper but demands a bit of knowledge.

As for Rover head gaskets a load of bilge is talked about them, the main problem is if the Rover engine looses coolant the system will airlock pretty quickly particularly on the Freelander, MGF/TF, Elise and 75 this is due to system layout not an engine problem -- don't loose coolant level and the problem dosen't occur.

There were specific problems caused mainly by modification Rover made to the engine in the mid/late 90s..

(1) Gradual unoticed coolant leaks from the corner of the inlet manifold gasket that were caused by the introduction of the plastic inlet manifold --- Rover changed the gasket spec and changed the tightening sequence.
(2) On early engines with alloy sumps (1.6 and 1.8 litre) head bolts were used could fowl the the sump when tightened -- when renewing a head gasket always check the bolt fitted free length as per manual.
(3) Hose clips used by Rover from the mid 90s weren't up to the job -- replace with genuine Jubilee clips.

It goes without saying that only the latest spec X-part or Payne gaskets should be used when working on the engine and that Rover WSM procedures should be followed to the letter, do this and there is no problem. But roast a K16 and you could end up with a dropped cylinder liner.

However the Ford Zetec while a bit heavier is cheaper and dosen't need a bellhousing.

[Edited on 2/4/06 by britishtrident]

britishtrident - 2/4/06 at 06:58 PM

That a pretty early one --- alloy inlet is the giveaway.

Alloy inlet is good for performance -- plastic less so. But later engines have hotter cams.

Humbug - 2/4/06 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Is it right that you can use the standard fuel injection on the 'K' series? , if so that is quite a saving, offsets the cost of the bellhousing.

'Humbug' and 'Stressy' on here have 'k' series fitted..........

Yes, I have... and it is true that you can use the standard injection. My engine came with all the anciliaries, ECU and immobiliser, and it is all wired up as standard. The bellhousing was a little pricey but I like the result.

Also, I have a 1.4 in standard tune (103PS), which allegedly puts less stress on the engine and make head gasket problems less likely than some of the bigger and more tuned versions.

Also 2, I have seen on Blatchat several whole K-series installations for sale by people going for a bike engine swap

[Edited on 02.04.2006 by Humbug]

[Edited on 02.04.2006 by Humbug]

caber - 3/4/06 at 04:31 PM

Just buy a bulk supply of headgaskets and put a new radiator in every year!

Caber

JoelP - 3/4/06 at 07:30 PM

i was at my mates garage the other day when a chap rolled up in an MGF, complaining about it loosing water He joked about having a lad employed just for k series headgaskets, he already had one in being done

DaveH - 6/4/06 at 06:34 PM

Don't forget that as well as the new bellhousing, you will also need a special starter motor. the K is also quite high - I have had to go for a dry sump in order to get a reasonable ground clearance.

Dave