Board logo

Changing CV Boots on Sierra push in shafts
SyKaTurbo - 20/8/07 at 09:22 AM

Any tips on doing that. Looks like I need to strip the CVs down and replace them/rebuild them just to fit new boots.

My local factors only had part numbers for the shafts complete.

Why cant they just circlip in like my old Ka ones lol!

aerobrick - 20/8/07 at 09:41 AM

If you are using push in shafts for drums then it is harder but the cvs boots can be changed.

As for bolt on versions for discs very simple easy to do kits readily available.

SyKaTurbo - 20/8/07 at 09:43 AM

Its the push in shafts for drums which im using!

Got the boots. Nice, small. cheap parts.

matt_gsxr - 20/8/07 at 11:53 AM

messy job, so get some latex gloves.

cut off old boot, around circumference.

pull it all apart.

Remove circlip.

Pull off the tripod bearing thing. You need a 3-legged puller thingy (can do it with 2-legged but much more swearing).

Clean it and put it all back together with loads more grease! THere is a trick about bending the metal sleeve over, but you will see what is necessary when you take the old ones apart.

Are you sure you have the right boots? the tripod (i.e. drum brake) ones have a metal sleeve on them (this is the thing that you cut when removing them). I am also told that there are two diameters of this.

Matt

p.s. don't wear you best trousers

PhilCross66 - 20/8/07 at 12:14 PM

Have you seen those cones that allow you to stretch the cv boot over the joint without the need for messy disassembly.
I got a kit off ebay and changed all my cv boots with them.

SyKaTurbo - 20/8/07 at 12:48 PM

Will a CV boot stretch that far? Sounds like a good idea though!

I cant see any circlip. Just a grooved plastic washer.

nick205 - 20/8/07 at 02:52 PM

Check this thread here for tips on replacing CV boots. See my post about half way down with photos showing what's involved....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=11231

SyKaTurbo - 20/8/07 at 03:58 PM

ah ha, my boots didnt come with the metal sleeves. Off to Ford it is then!