Board logo

New Haynes Locost
Rick James - 18/2/07 at 02:20 PM

I've bought PPC mag this month and there's a review of the new Haynes locost 'build your own for a £1000'.

What are people's opinions on it, is the build pretty good do you think or would it not be up to much?

JoelP - 18/2/07 at 02:38 PM

the book isnt out yet, so no one knows - apart from chrisg, who may be more than a little biased!

ps not sure why we're in the luego section....

[Edited on 18/2/07 by JoelP]

Rick James - 18/2/07 at 03:51 PM

Ah right, sorry, thought it should've appeared under this section of the forum.

No worries.

JoelP - 18/2/07 at 04:08 PM

dont be sorry, i only mentioned it because fewer people read this section than, say, the 'locost related' part.

What did PPC say about it?

Rick James - 18/2/07 at 06:26 PM

They were quite impressed with it. Said that the chassis and handling felt pretty good too. They werent too impressed that it had 1.8 Pinto engine in it though, reckon they should have put a Zetec in it. Overall they were pretty pleased with it though.

It looks like it could be pretty good for the price, obviously wont be as good as most of the stuff that's on the market at present, but seems ideal if you are going to build to a budget. I'm going to buy the book and ckeck out myself when it comes out.

jared1211 - 18/2/07 at 06:53 PM

What are the full details of this book?

[Edited on 18/2/07 by jared1211]

wilkingj - 19/2/07 at 07:48 PM

the point of the 1.8 pinto was that ite what was in the donor vehicle.
You can fit whatever engine you want, it just increases the build costs.

I am going to get the book, as I am thinking of building a new car. The new locost is also 2" wider... However, that may not be enough for me
I want independent suspension, so it rules out a few of the other builds.

PAUL FISHER - 19/2/07 at 08:31 PM

Ive had chance to have a quick look at a draft copy of the book,it realy does look very good,the detail and drawings are excellent,should make building the car a lot easier,but the proof of the pudding will be when people start building cars from it,I personally will be buying a book,just for a good source of information and as a reference for all aspects of locost car building.