Board logo

sva fail at bristol
stupott901 - 7/4/09 at 08:15 PM

had sva at bristol today but had a fail at he end of it but not to bad only a few minor points which are:

1. brake light inoperative-i think its just the switch

2.headlamps dip to offside - they are those 4 1/5 inch lights so need to get some sva friendly ones any one got any for sale or loan

3.unable to asses suspension components - id used self amlagating tape and foam .

4. temporary covering on harness bolts

5. wiring not securely attached to chassis

6. gearchange cable fouls master cylinder

7. brake pedal pivot insecure

8. no self centering

9. speedo out of limits

10. documentry evidence required for fuel hose

so nothing major really

but if someone could tell me how to sort out the self centering problem id be greatfull
and if some has a bit of fuel hose or the packing from the fuel hose which states the pressure and that its fuel resistent
would be good

and one last question how have people covered the suspension parts and the harness clips

at least it passed on emmisions ,brakes,and noise easily which im thankful for

many thanks stuart

omega0684 - 7/4/09 at 08:18 PM

put your tyres with more toe in to increase self centring

speedyxjs - 7/4/09 at 08:19 PM

Not a bad fail. The self centering is probably your castor needs adjusting.

stupott901 - 7/4/09 at 08:20 PM

ok thanks thats done by shorting the track rod ends?

twybrow - 7/4/09 at 08:26 PM

I put mine toe out (after reading lots of posts on here). It passed that section of the test (but not others - grrr)....

[Edited on 7/4/09 by twybrow]

Mark G - 7/4/09 at 10:43 PM

Looks like a pretty decent fail Stu, Fairly similar to mine yesterday. My tester was tony, As you said seemed like a nice guy and was pretty fair to the car I thought.

I covered all of my nuts with rubber nut covers that I got from TIFOSI. I also used these on the harness bolts.

I also failed on the top ball joint nut cover as I'd used foam which he asked me to remove. I just recovered this with some left over tadpole trim that I had from the rear arches.

Did you see how I managed to get my lights through SVA? Its on my pass thread.

I also failed on self centering, thought I needed more toe out though? Trial and error will tell. Send me a u2u if you fix yours before me though will ya.

Where are you based Stuart?

Mark.

mad-butcher - 8/4/09 at 08:12 AM

I set mine 3mm toe out and 40 psi in tyres

tony

stupott901 - 8/4/09 at 10:51 AM

hi mark
im located in trowbridge
thanks for tips i have just bought some shrink wrap for suspension parts as tony said that would do

i have had a quick look at my lights but does not seem to be an obvious way to get lense off
im a bit peeved about them as they were suppossed to be sva ok but obviously not

it looks like to sort the self centering problem out you need toe out and lots of pressure in the tires

i not going to touch the car now until next week just to have an break and id better spend some time with my wife over the weekend

once the cars are road legal have to meet up and compare cars as there seems to be a lack of clubs in this area

cheers stu

Mark G - 8/4/09 at 05:40 PM

yea sounds good.

have you got any photo's of your lights? Most have a screw under the lens, the front should then pull off and the lens will then be held on with some clips.

I'm in the same boat as you by the sounds of it, I've spent so much time on the car preparing for the test, I should really spend the weekend with he misses.

stupott901 - 8/4/09 at 06:33 PM

i have had another look and there is an screw but on the main body bit ill give a go on monday

cheers stu