Board logo

Engine pre '95 enquiry
Jazzy - 22/9/06 at 12:20 PM

Hi, can you tell me if i do need to fit a pre Aug '95 into my kit car? Many thanks in advance.

James - 22/9/06 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy
Hi, can you tell me if i do need to fit a pre Aug '95 into my kit car? Many thanks in advance.

Well I certainly haven't fitted a "pre Aug '95" into my car!
Frankly it just didn't fit!

Cheers,
James

James - 22/9/06 at 12:27 PM

Sorry, being silly.

If you mean engine then no, you can fit any engine in.

The point is, that if it's pre 95 then it won't need a Catalytic converter.

Cheers,
James

Danozeman - 22/9/06 at 12:30 PM

AS James said mate. U can fit what u want. Just fit pre 95 for easier emissions test.

Hellfire - 22/9/06 at 12:35 PM

To get your car on the road, it will first have to pass an SVA test. Part of this test is based on emissions. These fall into two categories depending on the age of your engine - pre 1st August 1995 and post 1st August 1995. The latter test is more stringent and will require a Catalytic Converter to pass.

Apologies if you already knew some of this.

Phil

alanr - 22/9/06 at 01:32 PM

I don't think you need to have a Cat - you just need to pass the emmisions requirements

A

Hellfire - 22/9/06 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alanr
I don't think you need to have a Cat - you just need to pass the emmisions requirements

A

Which you can't do with a post 95 engine without a Catalytic converter.

Mark Allanson - 22/9/06 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
To get your car on the road, it will first have to pass an SVA test. Part of this test is based on emissions. These fall into two categories depending on the age of your engine - pre 1st August 1995 and post 1st August 1995. The latter test is more stringent and will require a Catalytic Converter to pass.

My 2.0i pinto would have passed the post 1st August emissions test without a cat, I just leaned it back and the engine was in good condition (190psi on all 4 bores)
Apologies if you already knew some of this.

Phil

Colnago_Man - 9/10/06 at 07:59 PM

How does the SVA man know how old my engine is?

iank - 9/10/06 at 08:11 PM

You have to prove it to him.

Usual method is to send the engine number to a Ford department (search to find details) and they send back an official letter.

Most other manufacturers have similar departments.

Macbeast - 10/10/06 at 06:00 AM

If it's a Ford engine, the first two letters of the engine number give the date of manufacture, eg FM12345 is March 1985.

There is a table of engine date / two-letter code in the Burton catalogue (and if you don't have one, you should ) and people on here have said that SVA man accepts that table as evidence of engine age.