Board logo

Which are the best SVA stations?
gingerpaule - 30/4/07 at 08:28 PM

Hi all. I was wondering which SVA stations are the best to apply to for my SVA test. I live in Bracknell in Berkshire. As far as I can see the closest choices are:

-Yeading
-Mitcham
-Northam
-Leighton Buzzard

Yeading is the closest at probably 40 minutes away. The rest are all about 1.5 hours I'd guess.

Which one of these places is the friendliest / most lenient towards kit car builders?

chockymonster - 30/4/07 at 08:32 PM

Avoid Northam! most will know it as So'tonl.
They stick to the book 100%, no leeway whatsoever, if there is any room for interpretation it's always the strictest path that's taken.
I'm moving to Sandhurst soon so I may see you around

davrus - 30/4/07 at 08:44 PM

i will tell you next tuesday as that is when i have mine!!!

gingerpaule - 30/4/07 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

If you read your SVA application you will be given TWO choices, and one "is supposed" to be the closest one, which THEY will suggest after looking at your location, they wont just allow you to go anywhere unless the car is located close to the actual station.

On the form I've got it makes no mention of picking the station based on the distance from the car. Presumably they wouldn't know where the car is located anyway. I can't see a section on the form stating the current location of the car. Thanks for the information though, I don't doubt that you're right in what you're saying.

Anyone else got any feedback?

bob - 30/4/07 at 11:10 PM

My nearest SVA is yeading but i chose mitcham which is another 10+ miles away, i had no problems with my choice and chose Mitcham over Yeading as they had tested an Indy there a month before.

02GF74 - 1/5/07 at 08:30 AM

my closest was Yeading but I chose LB since it is more rural so there would be less aggro should I have broken down plus probalby less manic London drivers around.

The place is easy to find and Steve Barnwell, the tester, is quite helpful - gives the impression he wants to help you pass but isn't going to bend the rules which is fair play.

Depending where you are coming from, you get some nice clear A-roads rather than sitting in a big London traffic jam.

James - 1/5/07 at 10:52 AM

I thought Mitcham were very pleasant and it was a positive experience all round.

If you can use Wimbledon DVLA on your way home as well (and see the lady there called Harsha who was very helpful) then all the better.
Is she's not there then it doesn't matter which local DVLA you use.

HTH,
James

bob - 1/5/07 at 02:13 PM

I've been at Yeading twice and its worth remembering it is very busy there, being so near Heathrow Airport it takes in all the haulage company trucks as well as buses and coaches so its packed all day.

Mitcham was pleasant as james mentioned, pretty quiet there too.Only downside is the traffic in the area, if Mitcham is your choice i would get the early doors spot.