Board logo

Catalytic Converter
Skirrow - 5/11/07 at 08:14 PM

Can anyone help me with this one?

My donor is from '93 but was fitted with a cat.

Does that mean that if I get an age related plate it will subject to the advanced emissions test at either MOT or SVA stage? Or are they not bothered about whether it was fitted with a cat but just interested in the age (in which case I think I am ok aren't i?)

And what if it gets a Q plate, are the rules the same?

Cheers!

Optimum Balance Products - 5/11/07 at 09:24 PM

Hi, i am sure on a Q plate you will be exempt with the MOT.

However SVA will likely require a Cat. Give your local MOT station a call, they should be able to confirm the MOT.

Things are always changing and it will depend on what paper work you have to give to the SVA.

I hope this has helped.

Regards
Grant.

Skirrow - 8/11/07 at 06:00 PM

Cheers Grant, how come SVA require it, is it because it originally had one or because it's after a certain year?

Just trying to figure out f there is a way round it (without using a different engine)

matt_claydon - 9/11/07 at 08:47 AM

You need proof from the vehicle manufacturer of the engine's age. Since it's '93 you will not require a cat for SVA. It is irrelevant what the donor vehicle had fitted.

For MOT you will then need to pass a 'non-cat' emissions test if you get an age-related plate or a 'visual smoke' test if you get a Q.

Skirrow - 9/11/07 at 06:59 PM

Cheers! That's better news, and the answer I was hoping for.

I take it I can just write to Rover with the engine number and they will sent a letter proving the age?

matt_claydon - 10/11/07 at 05:09 PM

That works with Ford, not sure about Rover (not least because they don't exist any more!). The owners club could do it but you'd have to check with your SVA station that they would accept that.

THE BEAR - 12/11/07 at 04:25 PM

what about a 1999 zetec black top will that need a cat for the sva

Skirrow - 12/11/07 at 07:40 PM

Cheers Matt, not sure how I will go on with Rover, although I'm sure one of the Mini guys will know.

The bear, I think everything after '95 has to have a cat. Well, it doesn't have to have a cat technically, but it does have to pass the advanced emissions test which is gonna be very difficult without one I am told.

stevebubs - 18/11/07 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by THE BEAR
what about a 1999 zetec black top will that need a cat for the sva

yes