Board logo

Hypothetical SVA exhaust question?
adithorp - 29/11/07 at 05:29 PM

If a car passes on emissions but fails on noise, do the emissions get tested again at re-test?

adrian

speedyxjs - 29/11/07 at 05:31 PM

I think the whole test is redone

mookaloid - 29/11/07 at 05:32 PM

That's a really good question - I would guess not but I don't really know.

Cheers

mark

Robert Ryan - 29/11/07 at 05:37 PM

If a car passes on emissions but fails on noise, do the emissions get tested again at re-test?
( NO )

AS LONG AS YOU USE THE SAME EXHAUST, THEY WOULD ONLY TEST THE THINGS YOU FAILED ON.

snoopy - 29/11/07 at 05:42 PM

can also confirm no you would only be tested on the items failed not passed

Guinness - 29/11/07 at 08:01 PM

Yup, the first test takes half a day, the re-test just covers the fail points, so could be as short as five minutes.

HTH

Mike

smart51 - 29/11/07 at 08:21 PM

My SVA retest was very quick. Emissions, rear reflector edges and 1 or 2 nylocs. They only check the fails.

I would guess that if you change the silencer but keep the cat etc. then they would only check the noise. Surely, though, if you passed emissions once, then you'd pass again?

adithorp - 29/11/07 at 09:59 PM

Not if I took the cat' out and replaced it with another silencer that looked the same!

Seeing as its inside the sill it'd be hard to know I'd done it.

The thing is I have easy access to emissions testing to set that up but might be marginal on the noise. I'd have a bolt in cat for mot test later.

adrian

watsonpj - 29/11/07 at 11:32 PM

What take the cat out - no surely thats not allowed

and you shouldn't need it for MOT either mine fell out right after the test and hasn't been needed since. (as long as its a Q plate ) Visible smoke only

THE BEAR - 3/12/07 at 08:59 AM

as much as i dont wont to tell you all this but i have been to me mot station and the mot book is saying on a q reg the emissions are done on the age of the engine

DarrenW - 3/12/07 at 09:46 AM

In my experiance the SVA man will only test the items that failed, however im sure they reserve the right to check other bits again if they want to.