Board logo

rover v8 sva questions
kenton - 18/2/08 at 08:46 PM

Hi all,
i will be sending off the sva form soon and want to know what rpm max power is and if anyone knows where to find proof of engine age.
Thanks in advance
kenton

NeilP - 18/2/08 at 09:12 PM

Paul (Notts) has just passed SVA with a RV8 - He'll be along shortly I'm sure...

Simon - 18/2/08 at 09:25 PM

Kenton

For proof of engine age contact:

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Heritage Motor Centre,
Banbury Road,
Gaydon,
Warwickshire, CV35 0BJ

Chap's name is Richard Bacchus. There is a fee, but give them a call on 01926 641188 to see how much it is now. The letter they send will be copied by SVA man and I think VOSA, so keep it safe!

Max power is 155bhp at 5500rpm iirc, but that's assuming you have an SD1 lump.

The earlier P5B's, P6, and there are all variations of Land Rover, TVR etc etc

ATB

Simon

kenton - 18/2/08 at 09:38 PM

Thanks for the contact details, just what i wanted, will phone tomorrow.
Yes it was from an sd1 but the engine is an ex twr (tom walkenshaw racing) 4l so will be more hp than the standard 190 for the 3.5l inj.
kenton

Paul (Notts) - 18/2/08 at 09:53 PM

My engine came from a 1988 range rover and the manual said max power at 4000rpm - the sva man accepted that and did noise test at 3000 rpm

The fact that it had a new cam and induction system etc was not important.

Paul

edit

used British Motor Industry Heritage Trust for proof of engine age - cost £15 I seem to recall for certificate letter, I also seem to recall that they only had details of engines upto 199?.

[Edited on 18/2/08 by Paul (Notts)]

Simon - 18/2/08 at 09:55 PM

They won't know that - unless the engine number has been scrubbed and replaced with a TWR number, in which case you may have probs

ATB

Simon

robinj66 - 18/2/08 at 10:31 PM

Before you fill out your SVA Form, you might want to look here (unless you have very quiet exhausts)

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra -discussion/25622-filling-out-sva-form-2.html#post228309

darrens - 18/2/08 at 10:38 PM

G'day,

Be sure your engine has the original engine No. stamp and not a new stamp like mine did. Opens up a rate can worms. Basically a re-stamp or anything other than original results in the engine having to pass emmisions required for new and a CAT (or CATS) being fitted.

I ended up changing the engine to a standard SD1 3.5ltr with an 11A no. to prove it was built before (can't remember the year now) so as to avoid extreme emmisions testing and catalyts.

Letter from, reputable engine engineering company's not accepted either. Was a bit of a bugger but... done and over now.

Cheers

kenton - 18/2/08 at 10:58 PM

The original 30a.......... stamp is on the block so should be no problem to prove age (i hope).
From the outside it looks like a standard 3.5l other than larger exhaust ports!
kenton

Simon - 19/2/08 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Before you fill out your SVA Form, you might want to look here (unless you have very quiet exhausts)

My SVA tester said that 101db hurt his ears and my car didn't so that was a pass (he didn't even get out a meter).

The exhausts were as avatar - 2" tube into 4" "silencer with perforated tubing and wadding. Now they're shiny stainless, no wadding, but a par of turbos

ATB

Simon

gingerpaule - 19/2/08 at 07:30 PM

Just as a warning I phoned the Heritage Motor Trust and they said they couldn't help me because I didn't know the chassis number of the car the engine came out of. In the end I proved the age using a Rover P6 Haynes manual that happened to have compression ratio information in and a copy of the page in the Rimmers catalogue. Using these I proved it was 1973 and hence just a smoke test only.

I think I was lucky though because I've heard stories that only letters from the manufacturer are accepted by some stations. I guess it depends on where you go.

Paul (Notts) - 20/2/08 at 05:30 PM

Heritage Motor Trust

The heritage motor trust supplied me with a certificate letter based only on the engine number as that was all I had.

Paul