Board logo

Transit top link thread turns?
goodguydrew - 24/2/11 at 11:37 PM

Hi all, I was test fitting my Champion chassis front suspension tonight. When the brake disc is vertical, the transit top link still seems a bit too unscrewed from the top wishbone. The thread length is 600mm, only 200mm is engaged in the threaded tube. I have double checked dims of the upper and lower wishbones.
Does this sound wrong? Advice welcomed.

daviep - 25/2/11 at 06:23 AM

Is the the suspension is at approximate ride height?

MikeRJ - 25/2/11 at 07:54 AM

I think those measurments are a factor of ten out? 1000mm is a meter, so a track rod end with 600mm of thread would be impressive!

You'll want a little bit of negative camber so a little more thread will likely be enaged by the time it's set up, but it doesn't sound ideal. Are you using a completely "book" design, i.e. Cortina upright, book wishbones and book pickup points on the chassis?

goodguydrew - 25/2/11 at 08:17 AM

Sorry, the dims are indeed a factor of 10 out!
The chassis is on stands, but I had set the lower wishbones to horizontal when setting up.
The uprights are standard Cortina. All dims are std book dims.

[Edited on 25/2/11 by goodguydrew]

40inches - 25/2/11 at 08:40 AM

I took one of my Transit drag links back because it was 15mm shorter than the other, it seems it depends on who made it. You need to go to a local motor factor to check thread lengths, both mine are QH manufactured and are fine
Also check the chamfer on the thread end,the one I took back had also lost 3 threads because of the chamfer.