Board logo

Helmets
mike smith1 - 16/5/07 at 09:51 AM

Hi Guys,

As above, 2 x Helmets for Road and Track use wanted, any tips to look out for, want good quality cheap helmets. Also best places to go and have a look around my area (doncaster, sheffield etc)

Want something to match in with the car yellow/black/silver etc.

Mike

Hammerhead - 16/5/07 at 09:52 AM

Aldi had some recently £25 each ish.

Also the ones on ebay (cabalt??) with the flip down visor look quite good value.

worX - 16/5/07 at 09:58 AM

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=216299

I ride a bike, so my priorities for a helmet are different, so I can't really comment on a cheaper one!

Steve

[Edited on 16/5/07 by worX]

macdave69 - 16/5/07 at 10:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by worX
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=216299

I ride a bike, so my priorities for a helmet are different, so I can't really comment on a cheaper one!

Steve

[Edited on 16/5/07 by worX]

echo that sentiment, If you have a £25 head buy a £25 helmet. I ride a bike and prefer, fit, quality and protection over cost.
Both my helmets cost £250 so I guess I have a £250 head!!

blakep82 - 16/5/07 at 11:04 AM

j&s accesories. i forget the web address jsaccesories.com/co.uk most likely.

sell bike stuff, but i bought a helmet for £50 for my mini moto, and the helmet is approved for (bike) road and racing

owelly - 16/5/07 at 11:04 AM

I have a Shoei shaped head so buy Shoei for the bike. I did manage to smash one but I replaced with another!
For in the car, you need to think about being able to see out as it's not always as easy as on a bike. I'd buy a cheap thing and try not to use it!

flak monkey - 16/5/07 at 11:06 AM

Nitro fibreglass helmets are pretty nice and solid too.

Click

I have a slightly more expensive one but looks very similar.

David

blakep82 - 16/5/07 at 11:09 AM

heres mine:

www.jsaccessories.co.uk

mines in blue black silver and white. there's a yellow one too

razza987 - 16/5/07 at 11:58 AM

KBC helmets are good VFM, and if you want black/yellow:
http://www.kbchelmets.co.uk/images/jpgs/helmets/VR1X/high_res/VR1X_Classic_Yellow_lrg.jpg

Lots of dealers around you as well:
http://www.kbchelmets.co.uk/html/findastore/yorkshire.html

Raz

Edit: Just noticed the black/yellow one is only 70 quid on fleabay

[Edited on 16/5/07 by razza987]

Pants On Fire - 16/5/07 at 12:46 PM

I have real problems with helmets, off the shelf there's only 2 brands that fit my odd shaped bonce, something about a wide crown to be able to hold all of my huuuuuge brains in! Shoei & Simpson.

Shoei on the bike & Simpson in the car.

Slightly OT, a neighbours kid rear ended a car on his pushbike recently, thankfully he was wearing a helmet but it just disintegrated, no BS or ANSI stickers, beware cheap helmets bike, car or pushbike.

Peteff - 16/5/07 at 01:29 PM

That's how they absorb the shock, you aren't supposed to use them after an impact anyway.

Pants On Fire - 16/5/07 at 03:38 PM

Agreed for the plastic coated polystyrene variety yes. What this lad was wearing was more of a fashion statement, looked like a full face bike helmet with flip up chin thingy. Plastic ABS outer and soft foam lining, shattered on impact into about 8 pieces.

Hammerhead - 17/5/07 at 10:30 AM

I use a AGV Ti-tech like what Rossi does £400 ish quids. From when I rode bikes, now waiting for my build to be completed in a year or three!!

wilkingj - 17/5/07 at 07:20 PM

BMF Bike Show at Peterborough this weekend.

Go to the reject tents , and examine carefully. A lot is mail order returns, and in good condition. obviously aviod the ripped and torn stuff.

Leather gloves for a £5 a pair upwards, and good ones at that.

Search out the other stalls for helmets, took me a while to find an XXL that fitted and was confoortable, but for £30, and brand nex and boxed, I am not complaining, Oh.. Gold ACU Stamp approved as well.

Good cloting and biker gear bargains.
Especially if your kit car doesnt have a windscreen!