Board logo

cheap screwfix mig welder, but is it anygood?
barbarianbeast - 12/7/10 at 12:59 PM

screwfix.com/prods/30030/Power-Tools/Welding/Fan-Cooled-MIG-Welder-150A

I'm a complete novice but looking at getting started with a bit of odd welding, general stuff. Is this suitable. Does anyone see any downsides. Would it be good enough to put a chassis together later down the line.
Or am I better off getting one the machine mart which people seem to recommend.

A1 - 12/7/10 at 01:02 PM

looks similar to the one we got from there, its not bad. I only do the odd wee bit of welding, but it works okay.

jossey - 12/7/10 at 01:35 PM

its poo. i bought one. i had a welder who came to do some work for me and said it was awful. i bought a gas version which he used to build my chassis with.

thats my experience with it.

maybe that welder who didnt like it but i didnt use it. i took it back.

dave

barbarianbeast - 12/7/10 at 02:04 PM

So a Clarke from machine mart do you think? What's the best deal out there.

jossey - 12/7/10 at 02:13 PM

clarke seems to be the best.

off ebay is cheaper but if you have a machine mart local i would go there incase you have issues and you can take it back for exchange.

Dave j

owelly - 12/7/10 at 02:23 PM

I was halfway through a job and my big mig set popped. I ordered a cheapm FERM mig from Screwfix just to finish the job and six year later, it's still going strong! It certainly isn't as well built as the more expensive sets but it refuses to break! My mate has broken three MM/Clarke welders in the past 12 months and each time had a nightmare with MM trying to get an exchange.....but he's a clumsy git.....

coozer - 12/7/10 at 02:23 PM

I have a Portamig 185, its fantastic.

Get over to MIG FORUM

weldequip is the man to contact.

UncleFista - 12/7/10 at 03:33 PM

A "lot" of decent welding manufacturers have gone over to machines made in China in the last few years. If you read reviews make sure they're current and not from old machines.

Weldequip over on the Mig welding forum can advise and probably supply cheaper than the high street.

I'm happy with my Clarke but if I had the cash it'd be a Portamig next time

loggyboy - 12/7/10 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
its poo. i bought one. i had a welder who came to do some work for me and said it was awful. i bought a gas version which he used to build my chassis with.

thats my experience with it.

maybe that welder who didnt like it but i didnt use it. i took it back.

dave

Did you try it with the Gas option? it can do both.

barbarianbeast - 12/7/10 at 04:21 PM

I'm thinking I might give it a go and report back.
I'm encouraged also by this review on their site.

27 Aug 2009
By gothprince
, fy1 3jt
"don't listen to mash319......this person cannot use a welder.
I have been a coachbuilder + welder/fitter for 2 decades, the only thing on this machin that is questionable is the wire feed tension fitting.. if you spend the five minutes to clamp it to the right tension and then check the speeds you will find it a fantastic machine,
it is capable of welding around 4.6mm of steel or 5.2 mm of light iron, it is better than the (very high branded) machines at work....
Buy this machine..p.s thats before i even tried the gas bot6tle."

auroan - 16/7/10 at 02:06 PM

I'm looking at getting the 150A as well.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30030/Power-Tools/Welding/Fan-Cooled-MIG-Welder-150A

If you get one let us know how you go on.

Peteff - 16/7/10 at 02:25 PM

Current range of 60 to 140 amps is not very good. You need a lot lower to weld the kind of thickness involved in car bodywork or Locost chassis, preferably 30 amps or less.