Board logo

Top Welding Tip
coozer - 15/4/12 at 01:14 PM

I noticed the other day while giving the dash a once over with the back to black it smelled a bit like the anti spatter spray I use for welding.. so, I tried the back to black on the metal and hey presto! same results.. you just need a lot more of the stuff on, but, at a £1 a go in the pound shop its a damn sight cheaper than the anti spatter stuff.

The propellent is flammable though, found out after setting fire to me glove but not much. I can put up with that for the cost saving and the ease of getting hold of the stuff.

Current poundshop stuff is turtle wax 'black in a flash'

jacko - 15/4/12 at 01:49 PM

I spray wd40 up the nozzle it helps the wire to come though and stops splatter
tip 2
Jacko

serendipity123 - 15/4/12 at 02:19 PM

and another tip of the day is here for welding.

serious link

big_wasa - 15/4/12 at 03:14 PM

I would be very carfull of what chemical you are vapourising and breathing in.

T66 - 15/4/12 at 03:45 PM

I have some anti spatter spray, and am not convinced it makes a huge difference.

MIG fumes are pretty blacksnot forming things at the best of times, agreed - be careful what you add to them.

With the mention of wd40 - a reputable fabricator sprays his stainless manifolds when finished and before starting the engine, it creates an almost titanium finish, once the engine is running and its baked off.

[Edited on 15/4/12 by T66]

Peteff - 15/4/12 at 04:02 PM

Back to Black is silicone based so if you are going to be painting after welding it would not be a very good idea.