Board logo

hints and tips on removing glue from gelcoat
aka Keith - 6/4/09 at 08:06 PM

The previous owner of my car, put the stoneguards on with double sided carpet tape.

I want to remove these now, to replace them with something esle.

Are there any good glue removers that you can recommend, that will not attack the gelcoat?

Cheers
Craig

mistergrumpy - 6/4/09 at 08:08 PM

I use thinners. Hasn't done any harm to mine.

chrisg - 6/4/09 at 08:10 PM

I'd try the mildest solution first and make my way up.

Water? then probably white spirit, thinners will almost certainlyy get it off but might take off the finish, especially if it's ben painted.

I'd also try to remove it manually by rubbing it with your fingers - some adhesive will "ball up".

Cheers

Chris

jacko - 6/4/09 at 08:27 PM

At work we use 571 thinners to remove glue from f/glass

twybrow - 6/4/09 at 10:12 PM

Chemically, not much will attack cured gel coat. Acetone would be my solvent of choice....

blakep82 - 6/4/09 at 11:19 PM

wd40 has its charm. not sure if its any good for the gel coat though

skibum - 7/4/09 at 07:16 AM

Hi there

Drop of thinners works a treat for me

Rgds

Matt

aka Keith - 7/4/09 at 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the replies, sorry about the stupid question, BUT - here goes - any type of thinners ? ( i am a bit slow you see)

cheers
Craig

big_wasa - 7/4/09 at 08:52 AM

For Acetone you could use cheap nail varnish remover.

Triton - 8/4/09 at 06:36 PM

cellulose Thinners will get the glue off and not attack the gel coat

Hadders - 8/4/09 at 07:15 PM

^^^ wot he said. Standard thinners known as gunwash in the trade is around £5-6 for a gallon. Always keep some in the garage.

Thinners will not damage even paintwork if used sensibly. We use it most days on two pack lacquer. Does not damage it. Of course if you were to leave something submerged in it overnight...!

aka Keith - 9/4/09 at 11:53 AM

many thanks to you all. Managed to get the old stone guards off with a bit of brute strength. They had actually been stuck on with double sided carpet tape. so lots of car cleaning tar remover stuff, and lots of elbow grease removed the residue.

Now just trying to get the new one's on.