Board logo

Question!!
cerbera - 5/10/04 at 05:35 PM

I want to change some ali panelling. To do this I will need to drill out the existing rivets and I wont be able to retrieve the tails. What I dont want is a car that sounds like a rattle when I'm driving. Have you any ideas? I'm thinking of expandable foam but it will mean opening up a few holes to get the nozzle in. Anybody have any pros or cons with this idea.

Thanks

Nick.

Ben_Copeland - 5/10/04 at 05:48 PM

Some how i dont think you'll hear it above road / tyre / exhaust noise. You could always pump waxyoil into the chassis, wont rust then!

David Jenkins - 5/10/04 at 06:27 PM

Waxoyl would be best - foam tends to hold water and cause rusting.

David

derf - 5/10/04 at 06:47 PM

You can alwats drill a small hole in the bottom rear of the tube, over time it will eventually fall out if it's in the botom

marcotuinenburg - 5/10/04 at 06:56 PM

Or just like the MK chassis where's an open end at the end of the bottom tube.
You could grind done the ends of the tubes and lift your car one side up.
The ends of the riffnuts will roll out of your chassis. You can weld the holes when the riffnuts are out.

[Edited on 5/10/04 by marcotuinenburg]

cerbera - 5/10/04 at 09:25 PM

Thanks for all your valuble opinions. The waxoyl sounds like a great idea.
Im assuming that it sets and will hold the swarf together inside the chassis as I have never yet used it.

blueshift - 5/10/04 at 09:49 PM

yep waxoyl dries out to a waxy solid. bizzarely enough.

cerbera - 6/10/04 at 06:40 AM

James - 6/10/04 at 10:35 AM

How on earth are you gonna hear a few rivets heads when you've got a BEC with no windscreen?

Admittedly I've only been in Jasper's and The Isonblade (RIP )but they're both more than loud enough for that not to be a problem!

Some might suggest you're not driving hard enough!

James

blueshift - 6/10/04 at 10:42 AM

Along those lines I'm not getting fretful about the bits of crap pinging around in our chassis, and I don't think we're going to bother trying to fit a stereo: I intend the only audible thing to be the wonderous V8 roar

and of course other car horns and police sirens, wouldn't want to be dangerously or antisocially loud officer.

James - 6/10/04 at 10:44 AM

You'd better be fitting a 3 tone horn like Matt Claydon's then!

Or maybe one off a train!

Cheers,
James

Hellfire - 6/10/04 at 11:32 AM

After drilling out the rivets, drop a blob of PU adhesive into the chassis to stick the rivets in place.

madforfishing - 9/10/04 at 08:42 PM

If you go down the Waxoyl route stick the Waxoyl can in a bucket of very hot water for 1/2 an hour before you spray it. Thins it nicely.

wilkingj - 10/10/04 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madforfishing
If you go down the Waxoyl route stick the Waxoyl can in a bucket of very hot water for 1/2 an hour before you spray it. Thins it nicely.

Us Land Rover types Cut the Waxoyl with about 10-20% white spirit. which eventually evaporates away.

Please DO NOT use a naked flame to warm the Waxoyl... Stick to a bucket of hot water and a kettle.

Its very Flamable.
Especially when put in a Parafin gun with 150psi behind it... It becomes a Nasty little Flamethrower!!!

Geoffw

Mark Allanson - 10/10/04 at 08:55 PM

I have always cut the stuff 2:1 with cheap 20 50 engine oil, makes it more injectable and lowers the cost

Kitlooney1000 - 11/10/04 at 11:28 AM

you be suprised, you can here the tails rolling down the chassis when you brake and accelorate. i was going to drill a hole then fill a section of chassis with silicon sealent then take it out for a drive and do some heavy breaking. but i think i will go the waxoil route too.

cheers

lew

cerbera - 11/10/04 at 12:09 PM

I thought rather than find the rivet tails later when the are causing a nusance, stick there and then, then they wont have a chance.