Board logo

Removing tyres from rims
nathanharris1987 - 26/3/08 at 10:59 AM

Hello all,

Hope it was a good easter for everyone!

Does anybody know how to remove tyres from rims. I need to whip the rubber off to get my alloys blasted.

I know with my BMX you can use a couple of spoons to get the tyre off but somthing tells me its not going to be that simple with cars

britishtrident - 26/3/08 at 11:01 AM

You need a bead breaker and couple of decent tyre levers

IE take it down to the local tyre fitters.

Paul TigerB6 - 26/3/08 at 11:03 AM

You will need some really big tyre levers - or chuck a fiver in the direction of a local tyre fitter at lunchtime. Thats what i've done before - straight in their pocket so they're happy

Mr Whippy - 26/3/08 at 11:05 AM

I'd not try it unless you have the right gear, it's harder than it looks and you might damage the rims

nathanharris1987 - 26/3/08 at 11:07 AM

olright olright ive put the spoons back in the draw kingsway it is then!

Dangle_kt - 26/3/08 at 11:07 AM

depending on the tyre it can be a pig of a job, especially low profile tyres as there is so little give in the side wall.

Cash job for your man in the local tyre place

alexdj125 - 26/3/08 at 11:08 AM

Took me about an hour per wheel just to pop the bead off. I'd get to a tyre place!

britishtrident - 26/3/08 at 02:03 PM

With the right tool breaking the bead is easy without it its a sod. After that getting the tyre off the rim when the bead is brocken is just a knack, easy for some very hard for others.

One tip is always take the Schrader valve core completely out of the tyre valve when breaking the bead it makes a big difference. A lot of tyre fitters don't do this and just cut through the rubber neck of the valve stem and fit a new valve stem -- bad practice when repairing punctures because it is not unknown for them to leave a chunk of rubber rolling about inside the tyre.

Chippy - 26/3/08 at 05:28 PM

Easy way to break the tyre from the rim, just put the tyre under the wheel of a car and drive over it, you sometimes need somebody to stand on the wheel to stop it tipping. Works every time. :-) Ray