Board logo

electrolysis - what is the largest part dim ? .....
dan_g8 - 24/11/08 at 01:48 PM

All, i want to try my hand at electrolysis to clean all of the rust off my components so that i can paint them ect.
I want to get a container that will fit all of my parts in (obiously not all at once). so my question is what is the largest part and its dim?
I wont be doing the engine/gearbox so im guessing that the prop/ drive shafts will be the largest?
Thanks in advanced
Dan

02GF74 - 24/11/08 at 01:56 PM

does it matter? dig a hole in the garden and line with pond liner or tarp, pour in the electrolyte, wire up to battery and job done. you probably have a plastic wheelie bin which is more than ample - to reduce the volume of electrolyte, fill it will plarstic bottles filled with water so they don't float.

job done.

BenB - 24/11/08 at 01:57 PM

Or even easier fill it with mollasses 1:10 and leave it to do it's magic

tomblyth - 24/11/08 at 04:28 PM

washing soda £1.15 will fill a swimming pool!
[img]https://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=18399[/img]
also at tescos

link

[Edited on 24/11/08 by tomblyth]

chrisg - 24/11/08 at 04:35 PM

The recent Practical classics article mentitoned doing bits in situ with a sponge, you could do a whole chassis like that.

I'll try to dig it out.

Cheers

Chris

trogdor - 24/11/08 at 05:26 PM

if you can find a bath that would work. Theres one on my parents allotment that i have my eye on.

Bluemoon - 24/11/08 at 05:31 PM

I've used a sponge to the prop shaft in bits worked a treat... Stopped getting water into the bearings, of the UJ's... So you could do that on the large bits (with a sponge you can do small bit's at a time)..

So I only used a large plastic tub about 30x30x40cm..

Dan

BenB - 24/11/08 at 05:57 PM

Wallpapering polystyrene trays are useful for long thin things. Also gardening window boxes...

tomblyth - 24/11/08 at 07:18 PM

kids paddeling pool

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__paddling-pool_W0QQ_nkwZpaddlingQ20poolQ20QQ_cqrZtrueQQ_nkwuscZpaddelingQQ_nkwuscZpool#

kipper - 24/11/08 at 07:31 PM

The council delivered mine, 600x400 x300 deep, with a lid. Said sumat about recycling. I havn't even got a bike???

Asennad - 27/11/08 at 06:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
The recent Practical classics article mentitoned doing bits in situ with a sponge, you could do a whole chassis like that.

I'll try to dig it out.

Cheers

Chris

Could you expand on that for us foreigners please?

I assume that by some magic you mean that you can do electrolysis using a sponge on parts while still connected to the car?!

Never heard of that before - sounds interesting.