Board logo

Greetings from India!
twybrow - 26/11/08 at 07:10 AM

I am in Madras for 10 days, for a traditional wedding and a bit of sightseeing. Currently, there is a tropical storm passing over us, so I thought I would kill some time on locostbuilders!

It was an amazing 3 day wedding to start our visit - which puts UK weddings to shame. So much dancing, food, and vibrant colours everywhere.

I think this has to be the ultimate in locost countries. They repair/re-use everything! We have seen 4 people routinely on mopeds - which is awesome!

The country is fantastic - everyone is making us feel welcome and treating us like celebrities. We have been asked to pose for photographs everywhere we go (I dont think they have seen anyone as tall as me, or as blonde and tall as the Mrs!).

Anyway - we are off out in the rain, to do a spot of shopping. If I don't return, it's been a pleasure and good luck with the builds!

[Edited on 26/11/08 by twybrow]

JoelP - 26/11/08 at 07:37 AM

sounds good!

coozer - 26/11/08 at 08:46 AM

Puts English weddings to shame?

Sorry but I think you may be wrong there. Nothing wrong with a traditional white wedding.

iank - 26/11/08 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Puts English weddings to shame?

Sorry but I think you may be wrong there. Nothing wrong with a traditional white wedding.

I've yet to be at one where the party lasted 3 days. I have been to a couple where the hangover got close though.

splitrivet - 26/11/08 at 10:01 AM

I spent a few weeks in India about 3 yrs ago fantastic place.The people are brilliant and Ive never seen so many gorgeous looking women.
Cheers,
Bob

twybrow - 26/11/08 at 12:13 PM

I agree - nothing wrong with a traditional white wedding, but it was such a different experience, and just so full of energy. The wedding was no alcohol or meat, but even still, I did not crave a steak/beer at any point. There is just so much going on!

There was a 'dance off' between the two families, that involved more than 150 of the family members, and a choreographer. It lasted for 2+ hours. They had been practicing for 2 1/2 months and it showed! Fabulous.

We have just been driven back through the city centre which is all a foot under water (45mm of rain in the last 12 hours!)

I agree on the women. Some stunning looking ladies out here - time to use my celebrity status to good effect!

omega 24 v6 - 26/11/08 at 12:32 PM

quote:

Nothing wrong with a traditional white wedding.

Is that the one where the brides 4 months gone with someone else's child and the best mans been at it with her as well. Followed by a session on the Jeremy Kyle show.

RK - 26/11/08 at 01:16 PM

One of my clients who is about 150 years old, goes to India for the winter and invited me to go stay with her and her daughter (who is retirement age). I was especially interested when she mentionned that if you want a sandwich to go with your afternoon tea, you just motion to the servant, and you'll get it in a couple of minutes.

With our winter, I'm tempted...

[Edited on 26/11/08 by RK]

carpmart - 26/11/08 at 01:45 PM

I have been to India on 12 separate trips including Bombay, Chennai but mainly Bangalore as I used to work for an India company. I never ever ever ever managed a whole 2 weeks without encountering a fairly sever 'Delhi Belly'.

The funny thing is that I travel all over the world to some pretty 'off the beaten track' kind of places and never before or since my regular Indian trips have I suffered.

Anyway, it is a magic place and even with the advent of more western visitors than ever before, one is still highly revered!

splitrivet - 26/11/08 at 02:01 PM

Regarding explosions in the trouser department try and steer clear of Kingfisher beer I was drinking this and had a couple of near misses, switched to drinking Kings and was fine.
Cheers,
Bob

02GF74 - 27/11/08 at 11:23 AM

take care dude, they are not so friendly at the moment in mubai

Jasper - 29/11/08 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Regarding explosions in the trouser department try and steer clear of Kingfisher beer I was drinking this and had a couple of near misses, switched to drinking Kings and was fine.
Cheers,
Bob

yeah - don't touch the bnottle Kingfisher in India, they put something in it (can't remember what now - but it's something like gylcol) and it gives you the shits.

When I go there I just take anitbiotics from the day I leave to the day I return, otherwise guaranteed shits...

Great place though, went to a wedding in the Spring and it was truely amazing.