Board logo

o/t - honda civic door trim removal
DarrenW - 8/12/08 at 09:58 AM

Girl at work has just passed her test and unfortunately removed her wing mirror. We have a new mirror. Just need to remove the interior door trim to acess a screw and the wiring. Does anyone know how to remove?
Car is a 2004 4 door (or is it 5 door?) civic. There appears to be a flip off cover behind the door pull that i suspect will have a screw behind it. No other screws visible, even the handle doesnt have any screws through it).
Im hoping its will just pop off. I will suss it when i make a start but dont want to break anything.

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

Mr Whippy - 8/12/08 at 10:15 AM

Usually the wing mirror screws are behind the triangular cover above the door panel and most of prise off with a thin knife. Look for a thin gap and stick the blade in there.

If you are going to insist on removing the door trim, jap cars usually need the trim behind the door handle pushed forwards to unclip it, there is not normally a screw. There should be 2 screws holding the door pull handle on however, look underneath it or for plugs used to hide the screws. Once removed slide a wide knife blade in-between the door panel and the door and prize the clips off one by one all the way round, then lift the panel upwards to get it out between the glass.

[Edited on 8/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

neilj37 - 8/12/08 at 10:31 AM

Does this help ? It would look like the panel is held in place by plastic clips.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~gpetitpas/PICS/Cars/civic/DoorPanels/

[Edited on 8/12/08 by neilj37]

DarrenW - 8/12/08 at 10:33 AM

Thankyou Mr W. Thats what i was thinking. It is possible to replace the mirror via the panel you describe however the wiring disappears down inside the door and i need to access the plug. Also one of the nuts is just down behind door trim so removal will make a better job of it (as long as i dont break any clips - wide blade idea is good).

DarrenW - 8/12/08 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
Does this help ? It would look like the panel is held in place by plastic clips.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~gpetitpas/PICS/Cars/civic/DoorPanels/

[Edited on 8/12/08 by neilj37]

WOW - Many thanks neil, fantastic. Looks like the one im doing is slightly different but i dare bet the concept is identical.

Once again im amazed by the breadth of knowledge on this site.

DarrenW - 8/12/08 at 12:21 PM

Done it. Only took 20 mins. Hardest part on this model was removing the trim that covered the handle - a few screws were lurking underneath. I found the tiny tell tale bit that indicates where a thin blade needs to be inserted to pop it off.

Made a slight nick in the plastic which im peeved about but luckily its under the handle and hard to spot.

She got her mirror off ebay for £55 and its a good fit. Honda wanted about £240 supply only for same mirror. Replacement mirroe isnt body coloured but you can hardly tell unless you are told. As she says - if she was going to sell car it would probs be easier to replace other side with black mirror instead of getting the new one painted.

Thanks for your help.

Mr Whippy - 8/12/08 at 12:40 PM