Board logo

Enclosing and heating a small area in a large workshop?
mr henderson - 11/12/08 at 12:42 PM

Being brave and tough, I can easily cope with sub-zero temperatures in my 1500 sq ft unit, (concrete floor, single skin draughty roof).

However, I've got a couple of wiring jobs to do on customers' cars (as a result of my latest advert) and as you all know, pvc insulated wire gets very difficult to handle at low temperatures.

I've wondering, therefore, how I can enclose a smaller area in order to be able to heat it with a blower heater. I can get a 4m x 4m party tent for about £180 which might do the job, but am open to other suggestions.

TIA
John

Mr Whippy - 11/12/08 at 12:48 PM

I think a party tent would be ideal, I used one outside when welding the bug up due to lack of space and it worked very well. Just be careful of build up of fumes and possable fire risk from grinding or welding though it sounds like your not doing any of that kind of thing

[Edited on 11/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

will121 - 11/12/08 at 12:53 PM

a tent as an enclosure will retain a level of heat but would think will require a industrial type warm air blower heater, bue to heat and air loss, no good looking at infra red heaters as they will heat you but not the car or wiring

thunderace - 11/12/08 at 02:36 PM

real infared heaters heat objects not air so you dont need a tent or anything just the heater.

(real infered heaters have red bulbs not orange.)

bulbs look like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Infrared-Halogen-Quart-Heater-R7-Lamps-Bulbs-Elements_W0QQitemZ110321250338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Conservatory_Pati o_bbq_Patio_Covers_Heating?hash=item110321250338&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

[Edited on 11/12/08 by thunderace]

DarrenW - 11/12/08 at 02:40 PM

Why not get a load of CLS and some sterling board sheets and make yourself a mini indoor workshop for such jobs. Would need to have lighting etc too though. If made in 8 x 4 sections that bolt together it could be dismantled when not needed. Maybe just a sheet over the top to keep heat in rather than a timber covering.

Maybe just use the CLS to make the frame and tarps for the walls if sterling board works out too expensive. I guess if its in a corner of the buidling then you just need to construct 2 side (one opening to get car in and out).

JeffHs - 11/12/08 at 03:35 PM

For the last 4 years I worked in a very large cold and draughty steel barn. It had a mezzanine floor at one end. This was enclosed with heavy gauge polythene (like polytunnel stuff) and the outside walls and ceiling were insulated with polystyrene foam. It created an inner space about 12 feet by 30 feet by 8 feet high. This was very comfortable with occasional 3 kw heat input and we used it as a successful spray booth.
The clear poly does an amazingly good job at keeping out the draught and keeping in the heat. and its cheap and cheerful.

Jeff