Board logo

Project mini: your opinions???
rayward - 19/12/08 at 08:19 PM

my mini project is about to begin, either bike engined or honda type r, what are the masses views on drive/engine position?

big_wasa - 19/12/08 at 08:24 PM

I like the front engined, front wheel drive bec in the ppc a few months back

very trick

speedyxjs - 19/12/08 at 08:28 PM

Iv always wanted to try a mid engine, front drive set up in a mini.
Basically you have a big lump in the rear, mounted backwards. Gearbox coming through to the front mounted diff (this could be a ferwd car diff mounted upside down with breather and drain plug reversed). Drive shafts to modified front hubs

[Edited on 19-12-08 by speedyxjs]

Danozeman - 19/12/08 at 08:41 PM

Id put a type r in the back with rwd. But a 2.2 from an accord rather than 2 litre from a civic.

speedyxjs - 19/12/08 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Id put a type r in the back with rwd. But a 2.2 from an accord rather than 2 litre from a civic.

Problem with that is it may be tricky when it comes to going round corners

nick205 - 19/12/08 at 08:54 PM

Front/Front BEC I reckon.

You might want to drop a U2U to "minicooper" on here. He's built/building a Front/Front BEC AND a Mid/Rear BEC so might be able to offer some practical build and driving opinions.

woodster - 19/12/08 at 09:01 PM

This site may help ... a bit pricey .. some good vidsto help get you thinking

http://www.pro-motive.co.uk/R1KitInfo.html

Antnicuk - 19/12/08 at 09:17 PM

it has to be RWD, i like the rotary engined mini that was in a car mag about a year ago. (but then i'm biased) Front engine rwd, but i like the Honda engine.

Isnt a mini van with a vtec engine one of the fastest things around the ring at one point? Not sure if its FWD or RWD.

Bolting the whole honda subframe in the back has to be easiest option though. Seen it done with an MR2 turbo set up!

stevec - 19/12/08 at 09:47 PM

Front engine front drive or front engine rear drive, you will probably live slightly longer that way
Steve

carpmart - 19/12/08 at 10:11 PM

Voted rear/rear - Z cars style!

TGR-ECOSSE - 19/12/08 at 11:06 PM

My personal opinion would be to maybe possibly put an A series engine in the front

twybrow - 20/12/08 at 12:53 AM

Twin bike engine!! One driving front and one the rear (R1 probably). There are kits available for both, so just combine 'em both with some Locost thinking!

Davey D - 20/12/08 at 08:29 AM

Its got to be an FF setup with a light bike engine!

id have thought an FR setup would be a bit hairy on the limits with such a short wheelbase?

ReMan - 20/12/08 at 08:37 AM

FF
Sorely tempted towards one for my next project.
BEC with a roof

imp paul - 20/12/08 at 09:31 AM

hmmm zx14r rear wheel drive would be the muzzy nuts come to the dark side you know it makes sense

Mark G - 20/12/08 at 09:54 AM

I'd say it depends on the engine. If you go for VTEC I'd stick to FF but if you decide on BEC then I'd say RR

GBaggott - 20/12/08 at 10:55 AM

I'm just about to start building a rear engine rear wheel drive mini. Ive built a few cars already and all been bike engined (MK,MAC 1, MNR) so i think bike engine is the best way.

The only question i had in my mind was do i want to use it everyday? if so i could do with a reverse, and in that case a vtec would be better.

You can get the quaiffe ATB reverse diff but its very expensive.

iank - 20/12/08 at 01:12 PM

Lots of info/ideas here http://www.16vminiclub.com/

rayward - 20/12/08 at 06:04 PM

cheers fellas,

decide on Rear mounted BIKE engine RWD

Ray