Board logo

driving back untaxed/unMOTed kit car
02GF74 - 15/1/09 at 11:40 AM

let's say, hypothetically, that I have seen a kit car I am interested in buying.

It is in theory less than 30 miles away and has not MOT nor road tax.

Let's hypothetically say I buy it.

Now, although I need to check, I may be insured to drive other cars that are not my own, which one could argue this one is even though the paperwork at DVLA say not.

Now, in theory I could book an MOT near me and drive the car home. I could ring the MOT garage and say I have broken down to cancel thus costing me nowt.

Is this in theory a good plan or really bad idea

vinny1275 - 15/1/09 at 11:47 AM

The car itself needs insuring - if you look at your thrid-party cover on your policy this is the normal caveat iirc. driving to a pre-boked MOT is the only admissible defence for driving without MOT, so that side you should, hypothetically, be fine....

Mr Whippy - 15/1/09 at 11:49 AM

good plan and that’s what I'd do or take it to the mot place and see what it needs anyway, you might be surprised and take it back and ask for your money

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Dangle_kt - 15/1/09 at 12:17 PM

Drive it back with no MOT or anything, falling apart even.

There are no police officers to catch you anymore!

As long as you don;t speed then you can do no wrong....

Seriously, it sounds dodgy to me, and likely to land you in hot water - IF you get caught.

Imagine being the officer, if someone gave me all that story I'd make sure I found something to prosecute you over.

And if you crashed you could leave yourself in a mess, as I bet the insurance company lawyers would take that case on for breakfast - and get out of paying, leaving you with the bill!

pewe - 15/1/09 at 12:20 PM

M U2U. Pewe

scudderfish - 15/1/09 at 12:51 PM

Why not find an MOT place between you and the seller? Drive it to the MOT, get one done (always worthwhile getting another set of eyes over the car), and then drive home. You are also allowed to drive an untaxed car from an MOT as well provided you go straight home.

nick205 - 15/1/09 at 02:04 PM

How much would it cost you to hire a trailer for an afternoon...?

IMHO not worth messing about booking an MoT (with no intention of going) and then knobbing them off by cancelling it.

02GF74 - 15/1/09 at 02:14 PM

yeah, but what could I do if I "broke down"????

a trailer is on option but I need to get & fit a towbar or somehow attach it to a Nato hitch - not a good idea.

02GF74 - 15/1/09 at 02:18 PM

... and before you ask, the Nato hitch is the red thing in the middle of the rear crossmember.

(eagled eyed view will notice the crossmember is a civilain type not the corret militray one)

nick205 - 15/1/09 at 02:27 PM

Nice inspection lamp

ReMan - 15/1/09 at 04:00 PM

This plan falls over at step1 ie you just bought it, so it's not someone elses car!

Jasongray5 - 15/1/09 at 05:35 PM

Why not tow it behind another vehicle

Meeerrrk - 15/1/09 at 05:43 PM

do it properly, rent a trailer.

what good is a car with no licence cos you got cought driving it with no tax, MOT (therefor insurance)

it'll cost £30 for the day for a trailer, or if you know someone with one, nothing.

liam.mccaffrey - 15/1/09 at 05:43 PM

when I bought a rally car I made sure the owner kept the insurance on until I got it home
that way i could still drive it thrid party on my policy

Also I got the wife to sign all the DVLA paperwork so that I technically didn't own it and was able to use my third party clause to drive a car I didn't own. Not sure what would have happened if I had been stopped though

car was MOT'd though

[Edited on 15/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

speedyxjs - 15/1/09 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
when I bought a rally car I made sure the owner kept the insurance on until I got it home
that way i could still drive it thrid party on my policy

Thats a good idea.

Personally i would arrange an MOT with a locoal station before hand, just to keep it legit (distance may be a slight issue though if stopped. I would also make sure the car is likely to make the journey and that the condition isnt too bad (floor is still attached)

JoelP - 15/1/09 at 06:44 PM

i would urge you not to mess the MOT shop about, its not fair denting their income just to save yourself some effort, with all due respect.

You cannot tow it either as it would still need insuring and taxing.

Your best approach IMHO is to get it properly insured, book it for an MOT as suggested halfway home, and actually get it tested.

How badly off is the car, could you get it through a retest within 2 weeks?