Board logo

Garage roof
stevegough - 29/3/09 at 12:43 PM

Anybody had issues with garage roof (corrugated 'tin' causing megga - condensation problems especially in cold weather?

I have tried allsorts - but have now suceeded in curing it for good - see photo! the downside was the cost £1200 - but it is a big area (45 sq m)

blakep82 - 29/3/09 at 12:44 PM

what is it?

tomprescott - 29/3/09 at 12:46 PM

Is it a dehumidifer? Or a heater of some sort?

Guinness - 29/3/09 at 12:50 PM

I think that is a garage door opener!

I guess Steve has had his roof sprayed with insulation.

Cheers

Mike

fatfranky - 29/3/09 at 02:59 PM

I have the same problem with my domestic size garage.

Absolutely horific condensation when it's cold

Hope to get new garage built this year

stevegough - 29/3/09 at 03:25 PM

Sorry, Guys, been away from PC - Yes, mr guinness is right it is 'sprayfoam' insulation - I had tried spaytacking 6mm polystyrene sheets first, but it wasn't thick enough - and it didn't cover the 'up' bits of the corrugation - hence all it did was collect the water and channel it down onto the 4x2 wooden roof supports!

I was very pleased with the guys who came to do the spraying.......this is their website - http://www.webstersinsulation.com/home.html

They are based in Doncaster, but they do jobs all over the country.

I now can leave stuff out in my garage without it ending up in a puddle!

Regards

[Edited on 29/3/09 by stevegough]

40inches - 2/4/09 at 09:15 AM

I replaced the corrugated sheets on my roof with triple glazed poly sheets (as per conservatory) no condensation, no need for lights, even in the winter (except at night) Cost around £450 including roofing bars etc; for 28 square metre roof. I also dry lined the walls with battens and plaster board that made a huge difference to the temperature and condensation.

stevegough - 2/4/09 at 08:58 PM

There is very little framework on my roof to start with - it is just RSJs with 4x2 'battening on top - most of the strength is in the corrugations of the roof sheets - I would have to have started with a complete new framework, and I got a bigger 'un than you! - it would probably have cost 1200 - 1500 by the time I had finished.

It was also sooo easy - they did it in less than 3 hours.

Having said that, polycarbonate sheeting wasn't something I had thought about - and not needing 5 striplights on would have saved me a bit, too.