Board logo

reverse starter motor
davy - 4/4/09 at 10:05 PM

Is it possible to the reverse the direction of a motorcycle starter motor. I was told to turn the field coils 90degrees but this does not work. Any suggestions welcome.David

westf27 - 4/4/09 at 10:12 PM

would it be easier to mount the starter on the other side of the flywheel

Miks15 - 4/4/09 at 10:16 PM

from by basic knowledge of it, you wont just be able to reverse the poles, because then the solenoid will be pushing the wrong way.

I think what youd have to do is open it up and where the solenoid engages the motor circuit, swap it around there, this should work but again like i said this is only based on my very basic knowledge ofit

davy - 4/4/09 at 10:16 PM

Sorry i should have stated that I require the starter to fire-up a kart engine for my son in law and it has to run anti clock.

Miks15 - 4/4/09 at 10:25 PM

in which case i assume youll have a remote starter? Therefore not needing the solenoid?

Youll have to strip it down then to just the motor and then just reverse the poles?

DIY Si - 4/4/09 at 10:30 PM

Would it be possible to use an older Honda starter motor, but maybe change the pinion? Honda engines used to spin the wrong way, and may save some hassle.

rusty nuts - 5/4/09 at 07:38 AM

Are you actually using the starter motor fitted to the engine ? Or are you using it to rotate the wheels of a fixed drive go kart?.

davy - 5/4/09 at 11:49 AM

I am using the starter remotely and with an extension fitted to the starter shaft turn over the kart engine only. The kart is fitted with clutch which engages at a certain rev.

rusty nuts - 5/4/09 at 05:53 PM

Do you need to use a bike starter or would one from a car do?

davy - 5/4/09 at 06:20 PM

I have this one to hand and it is very powerful and has great mounting brackets. On the subject I reversed the neg and pos. and the starter ran the right direction, any one see any problems doing this. I was hoping to use a solonoid and a start button any comments welcome

Liam - 5/4/09 at 07:41 PM

How big is the kart engine? I've started lawnmowers and the like with a humble cordless drill with a suitable socket to engage the crank.

Liam

davy - 5/4/09 at 11:21 PM

The engine is a 125cc high compression and requires quite a speed to start it up. I dismantled the starter and changed the poles but it did not change the direction, but as I sayed early on, when I changed the pos. and neg. around it turned the right direction, but will this do any damage to the starter