Board logo

Lovely original Seven
Jasper - 21/4/09 at 01:13 PM

Parked up the road from my shop today .... Rescued attachment ABCD0013.JPG
Rescued attachment ABCD0013.JPG

damajin - 21/4/09 at 01:20 PM

Lovely car, but doesn't having front cycle wings like that make the car more dangerous to pedestrians rather than less!!!

D

ReMan - 21/4/09 at 01:21 PM

Yery classy

Mr Whippy - 21/4/09 at 01:23 PM

nice but as above the wings are waaaaaaaay to high, desperately need lowering

ReMan - 21/4/09 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damajin
Lovely car, but doesn't having front cycle wings like that make the car more dangerous to pedestrians rather than less!!!

D

Pedestrians were consumable items in 1960

[Edited on 21/4/09 by ReMan]

Mr Whippy - 21/4/09 at 01:31 PM

the wings seem a lot lower on this 1958 one, perhaps the builder didn't read the instructions fully

this looks like the kit its built from, though the seats different the nose cone and skuttle is alloy

[Edited on 21/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

JAG - 21/4/09 at 02:22 PM

Early Series 1 Lotus Sevens had cycle wings that didn't move with the suspension/wheels. Hence the massive gap.

This changed quite quickly and that explains why Mr Whippys photo shows a similar car with a smaller gap

Mr Whippy - 21/4/09 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Early Series 1 Lotus Sevens had cycle wings that didn't move with the suspension/wheels. Hence the massive gap.

This changed quite quickly and that explains why Mr Whippys photo shows a similar car with a smaller gap

ahh good call, I can see the wing bracket is fixed to the chassis now

still looks stupid though

rallyingden - 21/4/09 at 02:57 PM

Its a fair wather car........... no wipers

RD

donut - 21/4/09 at 04:04 PM

I am lucky enough to live 5 mins from Caterham where there is a showroom and in the back are some early examples that are even pre or just post 7. Full bodied and all ally. Nice!

stevegough - 25/4/09 at 04:57 PM

Sorry Mr Lotus 7 - it seems the copies are now rather better than the originals?

( Just an opinion! )

And It would never pass the SVA !

iank - 25/4/09 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Sorry Mr Lotus 7 - it seems the copies are now rather better than the originals?

( Just an opinion! )

And It would never pass the SVA !

Apart from those awkward front wings I think it looks much better than any of the copies (also an opinion )
Can't stand the fat arse look you get using sierra IRS with standard length driveshafts and wide wings.

I don't believe any car from 1957 would pass SVA.

Guinness - 25/4/09 at 06:04 PM

I spent last weekend at Cadwell, where a mate of mine races a Series 2 Lotus 7 in the HSCC.

He came 4th.

Lotus 7 Series 2
Lotus 7 Series 2

The front wings are fixed dead ahead.

Mike

Andy D - 25/4/09 at 07:18 PM

Think its the same car I saw at Croft 06 Mike, plus another similar one.

Dont think the original had a red line of 7500 rpm!

MikeRJ - 25/4/09 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Can't stand the fat arse look you get using sierra IRS with standard length driveshafts and wide wings.

Totally agree, really spoils the lines of the car.

It might not have 200 BHP and be packed full of carbon fibre bits, but the early 7's have such elegant lines and proportions that I don't think anyone has made a clone that betters it for looks.