Board logo

Night Driving!
cloudy - 23/4/09 at 09:17 PM

Why did nobody tell me about this little gem!!

I just put another 70miles in complete darkness on R4

All you can see is the two wheels illuminated by the headlights, the gps readout of the road ahead and the light pattern from the projectors - driving nirvana!

Best bit is she's doing 25mpg even with the twistiest bits I could find...

Guinness - 23/4/09 at 09:20 PM

Good init!

I find the cold air / quiet roads and brilliant headlights makes for great fun.

Mike

BenB - 23/4/09 at 09:20 PM

Only trouble with running at night is that some BEC alternators don't chuck out much oomph at low engine revs and consequently with the headlights etc running the battery can run flat. Don't ask how I know

Hellfire - 23/4/09 at 09:22 PM

Ben, how do you know?

Phil

cloudy - 23/4/09 at 09:24 PM

I'm interested to know how too

Mellow Matt - 23/4/09 at 09:25 PM

I can vouch for the battery bit too... It can be a bit nippy too! Good fun with the headlights and the lack of traffic though!

roadrunner - 23/4/09 at 09:28 PM

Great driving at night, but it's the bugs that are attracted to the lights that cause me grief, they stick like s**t to a blanket.

BenB - 23/4/09 at 09:30 PM

Well if you must know I pulled over in deepest darkest Cricklewood to wait for the misses outside her gym. Left the car running for a while with the lights on before switching off the engine to wait. Went to start it again and nothing. Not a sausage.

DIY Si - 23/4/09 at 09:56 PM

I find night driving a bit of a mixed blessing. It's nice and quiet, but I find any oncoming traffic enough to nearly blind me.

PS, 25 mpg??!! You need to try harder! I can get down to about 12 mpg.

Steve Hignett - 23/4/09 at 09:59 PM

I'd only had my car on the road for a couple of weeks and I went south slightly to meet up with Ox, Rig and a couple others.

Great evening of driving even though that was the night I lost my bonnet (for the first time! )

On the way home though, I had my second mishap of the evening. My gear lever pushrod unscrewed itself from one end, and I was left in Fourth, approx 15 miles from home, with 4 roundabouts and 3 sets of lights, and some of the twistiest roads going. So the plan was to just keep up as high a top speed as possible and get as close to home before having to call the missus, cos it was about 10pm ish!

Great drive, green lights all the way, and all but one empty roundabout - entered the last one at about 40mph

Moorron - 23/4/09 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I'd only had my car on the road for a couple of weeks and I went south slightly to meet up with Ox, Rig and a couple others.

Great evening of driving even though that was the night I lost my bonnet (for the first time! )

On the way home though, I had my second mishap of the evening. My gear lever pushrod unscrewed itself from one end, and I was left in Fourth, approx 15 miles from home, with 4 roundabouts and 3 sets of lights, and some of the twistiest roads going. So the plan was to just keep up as high a top speed as possible and get as close to home before having to call the missus, cos it was about 10pm ish!

Great drive, green lights all the way, and all but one empty roundabout - entered the last one at about 40mph

Tern hill?

Steve Hignett - 23/4/09 at 10:29 PM

From there to Middlewich via the A49 (?) and then all the twisty lanes to Casa de worX

quote:
Originally posted by Moorron

Tern hill?

Moorron - 23/4/09 at 10:37 PM

Nice one. nned to start going to it again to meet up with other members.

i took mine up the road tonight to just set the exhaust paste but it was dark and felt very nice and fresh. Pity i cant see anything from the lights lol.

speedyxjs - 24/4/09 at 06:07 AM

I love night driving although atm it is only in the tintop. The nice quiet roads make for some good blats and single figure fuel economy

DIY Si - 24/4/09 at 06:15 AM

Doesn't driving a Jag give single figure MPG's anyway?!

Richard Quinn - 24/4/09 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Doesn't driving a Jag give single figure MPG's anyway?!
Nope! double figures (if you include the first decimal place!!)

cloudy - 26/4/09 at 12:39 PM

There's some video of R4 at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPPxQsPkL38