Board logo

Looking to build
racing57 - 30/4/09 at 11:43 AM

i am looking to possibly build a car this year... i was going to build one to race a couple of years ago, was going to sell my race XR2 and race a locost instead, sold the XR2, but things didnt quite turn out as planned..... anyway, i want to build one for possible road use, and defo track days...

i am thinking of a 2ltr zetec... what donor car would i need for all the running gear etc ?? i have the mcsorley drawings etc for the chassis.. and the original Ron Champion Book...

would a type 9 sierra gear box be ok ? what about prop and rear axle ?? any advice would be much appreciated..

Thanks
Lee

[Edited on 30/4/09 by racing57]

adithorp - 30/4/09 at 11:59 AM

Sierra will supply all the donor parts you need apart from the engine...untill you get lead astray by shinney bits!

If you don't have other plans I'd get to Stoneliegh show this weekend. It's the biggest show of the year and there'll be hundreds of cars to nosey at for ideas.

adrian

blakep82 - 30/4/09 at 12:01 PM

hmm, xr2 racing? not racing at knockhill were you?

racing57 - 30/4/09 at 12:03 PM

i know all about shiney bit after having the Fiesta.... the amount of stuff i bought for that, which i didnt really need....

so a sierra will get me everything i need... is that a different axle to the ron champion book... ?

racing57 - 30/4/09 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, xr2 racing? not racing at knockhill were you?

no i was racing in the 750mc stock hatch.... sold the car last year....

blakep82 - 30/4/09 at 12:19 PM

ah, i didn't know of anywhere else where they raced xr2.

sierra is a different axle to the ron champion book. sierra is IRS, but should give you everything you need except the zetec engine (unless you're happy with a pinto engine)

racing57 - 30/4/09 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ah, i didn't know of anywhere else where they raced xr2.

sierra is a different axle to the ron champion book. sierra is IRS, but should give you everything you need except the zetec engine (unless you're happy with a pinto engine)

i think i will defo go zetec.. so that will bolt straight to the sierra gearbox... will i be best getting the new book, does that explain the different axle ??

Cheers

Miks15 - 30/4/09 at 12:51 PM

Yes, the haynes roadster book by Chris Gibbs has got plans for the sierra rear end

racing57 - 30/4/09 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Yes, the haynes roadster book by Chris Gibbs has got plans for the sierra rear end

cool, well i have just ordered all the steel for the chassis and am watching a couple of sierra's on ebay....

seen a couple of zetec's but is there much difference between the 2.0l and the 1.8l ??