Board logo

Fuel sender
Miks15 - 12/5/09 at 06:50 PM

Im getting my tank made by deneo soon.
But i also need a fuel tank sender.
Can the holes for it be made afterwards without needing to be on the other side of the panel its going on?

Or do i need to know what sender im using so he can make the holes and weld nuts or tap it or whatever before hand?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Mikkel

blakep82 - 12/5/09 at 06:52 PM

i guess you can do it after, but it won't be easy to get all the bits back out again. i think a lot of senders are standard fitment (i don't know exactly!) but a hole in the middle about 2" dia, and 5 threaded holes round it is about normal i think

Miks15 - 12/5/09 at 07:04 PM

what do you mean by get all the bits back out again?

Im just not sure as to what clocks im using yet (see the new poll) so unsure as to what sender im using

iank - 12/5/09 at 07:11 PM

The problem is getting the swarf from drilling the holes back out of the tank.

It's not a problem retro fitting a level sender after the fact, though the tank won't be thick enough to take a thread. What you use is a C shaped ring that's tapped and can fit through the hole.

One of these
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1789/RING-WITH-CAPTIVE-NUTS-FOR-3.75%22-FUEL-CAPS/product_info.html

Miks15 - 12/5/09 at 07:16 PM

yeh mabye, thats a good idea actually,

I just remembered its got a bit hole in the bottom of the tank anyway for the pump to fit in so it shouldnt by a problem getting a ring up and holding it in place, or even just getting nuts up with a long exentension on the rachet

blakep82 - 12/5/09 at 07:33 PM

yeah, swarf is what i meant, also, if you use a hole saw, and the 'hole' you cut out falls in, you can't really hook it back out with a magnet or anything.

my tank came 2nd hand with holes already cut for a sended, but rather than threaded it has rivnuts in it. so thats another possiblility i think?

Miks15 - 12/5/09 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
yeah, swarf is what i meant, also, if you use a hole saw, and the 'hole' you cut out falls in, you can't really hook it back out with a magnet or anything.

my tank came 2nd hand with holes already cut for a sended, but rather than threaded it has rivnuts in it. so thats another possiblility i think?

wont rivnuts be ever so slightly raised therefore comprimising the seal?

Im not bothered about bits falling in anymore, remembering my big hole in the bottom for the pump