Board logo

volvo breather? how to fix it.
02GF74 - 19/5/09 at 09:21 AM

been poking round the engine bay - 850 T5 - and noticed that there is a pipe that is split - as shown by screwdriver in the photo.

It is to the left of the crank position sensor but due to the support strut being in the way, I cannot work out how to remove/replace it.

There is oil in the pipe but none around the engine so I guess it is a breather?

Assuming it is a big job to remove the support, how can I fit this?

I am thinking of putting a sleeve e.g. small hose and then glueing it in place or using insulation tape.

Any other ideas? Rescued attachment DSC04676.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC04676.JPG

DarrenW - 20/5/09 at 09:30 AM

i assume the black bit that the screwdriver is poking into is still partially attached to the black elbow? As you have said i think id be looking for a short length of hose, ID of which is close to OD of the hose on engine, to repair it. No harm in a bit of PU sealant or RTV silicon to seal it up.

02GF74 - 21/5/09 at 08:32 AM

sorted now.

I got the small dentists mirror to take a look and could see a metal tube onto whcih the pipe is pushed on, held with a metal clip.

Must have took about 1/2 hour removing the metal clip!!!

Going to garage that does volvos this morning, they had a T5 in the back which did not have this pipe. It turns out to be a fittment to early engines to prevent oil furring up - in effect a breather. There should be a tube running under the spark plug cover.

Anyways, the tube is much like a distributor vacuum pipe in that is has two right angled fittings that go onto a tube.

The garage had a spare end, £ 3 they charged me eeek!!! So should get it fitted tonight. Rescued attachment DSC04682.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC04682.JPG