Board logo

Newbie - Looking at getting a LoCost
Mr Flaky - 17/7/09 at 04:13 PM

hi guys

newbie here, haven't made the leap into locost ownership yet, but could do with some advice!

Basically just sold my MGB GT to fund a new toy, was originally going to be a MG Midget to race in the car club series but saw a locost the other day and was really taken by it.

Now my ideal plan would be to get a already complete locost to use on the road, the odd hillclimb and ultimately in the 750mc. But I am a bit confused by which route to go down, should I look for a racer and then work backwards to get it on the road or do it the other way around? Also honestly should I look at bike engined ones, because from what I understand you can't race these in the750?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out a plan of action!

cheers

[Edited on 17/7/09 by Mr Flaky]

Gazeddy - 17/7/09 at 04:17 PM

If you want to race in the locost league it has to be 1300xflow. Mite be favourite to get a race One and road prep it being that they have to be pretty much road legal

speedyxjs - 17/7/09 at 04:18 PM

Welcome to the madhouse

There is a guy on here (cant remember the name) who is an expert in the 750mc. Someone will be on soon who can remember his name

Gazeddy - 17/7/09 at 04:22 PM

Matt @ procomp is the local expert

graememk - 17/7/09 at 05:07 PM

well if your looking to buy one you'll have to wait 48 hours to see a forsale advert now lol

[Edited on 17/7/09 by graememk]

beaver34 - 17/7/09 at 05:14 PM

i converted a ex 750 club race car to a road car, best way i think,

myke pocock - 17/7/09 at 05:27 PM

If you go for a road ready one you wont have the possible problems of IVA to contend with. At £450 for the test and a possible further £90 for retest thats something to consider. Just think what you could do with that kind of money.

Mr Flaky - 17/7/09 at 05:33 PM

Beaver34 - now that's what I am talking about!

If you don't mind me asking what sort of budget were you running to with the purchase and the conversion? Currently SWMBO has ok'd between 4-5K, once I have finally completed putting the new kitchen in, hopefully this winter. (i may be slow but damn it, its worth the wait!)

jpindy3 - 17/7/09 at 05:37 PM

i would build one atlest then you know what you have,
but yes the only down side is the iva,
i think i was the first person to go for the iva on here,i failed it first time and got it on the retest,
just dont rush into anything
good luck

beaver34 - 17/7/09 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Flaky
Beaver34 - now that's what I am talking about!

If you don't mind me asking what sort of budget were you running to with the purchase and the conversion? Currently SWMBO has ok'd between 4-5K, once I have finally completed putting the new kitchen in, hopefully this winter. (i may be slow but damn it, its worth the wait!)

errr the car had allready passed sva, back in late 04, i had the engine and ecu to fit other wise that would have been 3k, i car like mine would be around the 6-8k mark with the spec it is

Mr Flaky - 17/7/09 at 06:16 PM

cool, least it is not out of the realms of possibility cost wise, the other option I guess is to hold off circuit racing, buy one with whatever engine I would like (obviously within reason) and just do sprints/hillclimbs and track days for the time being.

By the are there any "meets" or events coming up so I could have a look see at a few more in detail? Not to bothered about traveling but based in Derbyshire in case anything local

kipper - 18/7/09 at 07:31 AM

U HAVE U2U
Denis.