Board logo

Oil analysis lab recommendation
DarrenW - 22/7/09 at 02:35 PM

Some may recall that i have had some recent tintop woes. Basically new turbo was fitted that failed after 2,500 miles. Warranty refused on grounds of oil contamination etc etc.

Ive had a sample of the oil analysed by Monition. http://www.monition.com/
Unbelievable service. Highly recommended. Professional report submitted within 3 days and even a phone call by the lab manager to discuss and explain the results. I expected to have to call them, however was very delighted when they called me first. And all for £30 + Vat. Bargain.
One of their usual services is to analyse regular samples from heavy plant machinery to indicate if there is a component starting to wear so that it can be booked in for preventative maintenance to minimise downtime (think expensive gear in open casts etc).

Oh - and they didnt find anything in the sample that they could say would have definitely caused the turbo to fail in the way the turbo people have suggested, so im now challenging the turbo supplier to honour their warranty. I may need to find someone legal who is an expert in this field to get some advice

r1_manx - 22/7/09 at 02:55 PM

Further to the previous post suggestion, I can highly recommend:

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

My dad owns a Subaru 22B, and after a completely botched engine updgrade/rebuild up to a 2.5l block with uprated turbo and internals etc...the engine went bang shortly after run-in, so he had the oil sent away to dyson analysis as part of the post mortem. They were very prompt in their response and my father received a 10 minute audio file along with charts and lab results. In the audio file, the guy gave us a full run down on the engine condition, there were several foreign objects found in the oil, one being silicone! He also suggested what oil to run in the new engine and it obviously helped my dad back up his claim to the joker of a mechanic when he asked to be paid and we promptly told him where to go as you can imagine. Anyway, big thumbs up to the blokes at dyson, efficient lot.

Cheers

Ben

Guinness - 22/7/09 at 03:47 PM

Nice one Darren!

I hope you get your car sorted soon.

Mike

iank - 22/7/09 at 06:24 PM

If you wave the lab report at them they'll probably give in. Defending even the most basic legal action would cost them a lot more than a new turbo (and the cost of your lab investigation).
Your lab would be sure to get involved to defend their reputation.

Good luck.