Board logo

UPVC Windows
richardson975 - 8/9/09 at 09:59 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing some windows in the home with UPVC. I understand there are different template or systems such as profile22, synseal, veka etc. Does anyone know the best one for quality (and price of course) as it seems a bit daunting. What is the difference in them anyway, is it the thickness?? Im clued up on the Fensa approval etc but just the type of windows.

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Jonathan

adithorp - 8/9/09 at 10:17 AM

Have you looked at any of the other posts on this forum? Can you see anything they have in common?

smart51 - 8/9/09 at 10:23 AM

It all seems very logical. We're builders who are not expensive. Isn't that what the name suggests?

MikeCapon - 8/9/09 at 10:23 AM

Locost Builders ain't this kind of builder

[img][/img]

nib1980 - 8/9/09 at 10:29 AM

i still bet that some one on this forum will know the answer!

dinosaurjuice - 8/9/09 at 10:39 AM

it would be great if you joined this forum hoping to replace some windows and ended up building a car

Mr Whippy - 8/9/09 at 10:43 AM

most windows I've ever fitted are simply held to the wall with 4 large rawplug like screws (two either side), then the gap filled with mastic. You put a sheet of damp proofing under the window so the rain falls onto the windowsill and not back down the wall. Really its a dead easy job to do and did my current kit house's windows in less than a day. The garages 4 windows took about 2 hrs if that

[Edited on 8/9/09 by Mr Whippy]

big-vee-twin - 8/9/09 at 12:19 PM

You should go for windows that are manufactured from 6mm thick glass for both panes with a 12mm air gap filled with inert argon gas.

This will give you a very good energy efficient window with a U value of around 1.8.

Don't worry too much about the extrusion type, as stated previously you screw through the frame into the wall and then insert the glass - buy the way I am not a double glazing salesman.