Board logo

Why are bikes more expensive?
pekwah1 - 11/9/09 at 07:07 PM

Well not bikes exactly, but bike engined 7s?

I'm potentially looking at getting an mk indy and have been looking at engine possiblities. I've noticed that ones with bike engines are notably more expensive as are the chassis too.

Any particular reason why?

Regards,
Andy

afj - 11/9/09 at 07:11 PM

performance sequencial(sp) gear change for free but £££ to add to a car engine

flak monkey - 11/9/09 at 07:13 PM

From a kit perspective probably just because they can get away with it

Otherwise I cant think of why you would spend the extra

pekwah1 - 11/9/09 at 07:13 PM

Well that didn't make much sense to me.
I can understand them maybe being more expensive as a complete car, but why would they be more expensive when building up a kit?

eznfrank - 11/9/09 at 07:17 PM

There's a small amount more work for reverse mounts and also the cradle for the engine but the actual chassis should be more or less the same price (just extra for the cradle??)

coozer - 11/9/09 at 07:17 PM

Bike motors are more expensive due to the bec explosion... years ago I could get motors for my bikes for buttons but now they cost lots.

Just look how cheap sub 600cc engines are compared to litre +

flak monkey - 11/9/09 at 07:19 PM

Fit a decent car engine and enjoy the refined(ish) cruising rpm, reliability and driveability.

If its a track car stick a bike engine in, if its going to spend 90% of its time on the road a car engine is the only way to go.

I know loads of people who fitted bike engines because its apparently the done thing, to cars they only use on the road and really quite rapidly regretted it.

David

mookaloid - 11/9/09 at 07:23 PM

it costs more to build a BEC - the engine and Gearbox often come free with the car whereas the Bike engine can cost anything from a few hundred to a grand or so.

rf900rush - 11/9/09 at 08:30 PM

BEC's Can be done cheaper, but most want the best bike engines, R1's ZX12R's Busa's and ZZR1400's. hence the high prices.

It dos'nt have to be like that.
For instance, I recently put a good running Suzuki RF900R on ebay and no bids.
Start price was £100 for a 120Bhp 11500 RPM bike engine and no one wanted it.
And that pushed my Dax to 60 not much slower than my new ZX12R engine.

There are still some older bike engines out there, which will give good performance.

Martin

Dangle_kt - 11/9/09 at 09:00 PM

I also think that generally speaking the rest of the car is more performance focused if using a bike engine to power it.

Weigh is given more priorty so generally the overall car has a better spec.

That of course does not apply to all cecs. Far from it there are some very track focused ones and some with mighty fine setup.

I guess it's the same reason you don't. See many bec robin hoods, Because if you are going to select a powerful but buzzy engine, your not going to make it into a tourer fir example, so there are less compromises and more costs building.

Also they are in vogue, and desirable so more expensive.

Humbug - 11/9/09 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Bike motors are more expensive due to the bec explosion... years ago I could get motors for my bikes for buttons but now they cost lots.

Just look how cheap sub 600cc engines are compared to litre +

because the engines are always going bang?

pajsh - 11/9/09 at 10:20 PM

When you think about it why are bikes so expensive anyway.

A new R1 is, I understand, about £12k. You can get quite alot of car for that. (OK so not the same preformance but you get my point)

I was watching "twist the throttle" last week that said a bike (honda factory) takes 100 minutes to build. Not alot of labour in that then.

I'm sure it is all about supply and demand.

bi22le - 12/9/09 at 12:42 AM

I thought the same when I wad buying a BEC. I know that certain companies really aim at weight loss and handling on track chassis which cost money. Other than that I never got an answer.

I am a BEC man at the mo so would be interesting if people come up with a sensible answer instead of the reliability cop out comment, IMO of course!!!

oldtimer - 12/9/09 at 06:18 AM

I don't know either. It does seem that bike engined road cars come up for sale sometimes after very short ownership / miles. For me most of my miles will be on the road so I'm not interested in a BEC. I don't think construction price is the reason as both forms can run cheap or expensive motors depending on what you choose. I know exactly where my motorcycle engine is staying - in my motorcycle.

keithice - 12/9/09 at 08:27 AM

people forget that a new R1 at twelve grand matches or beats in performance terms anyway, a car costing sixty or seventy thousand pounds. my problem as an ex-biker was finding a way of getting a car with bikelike 0 to 60 times without spending that kind of money.... also as a side issue, kit cars put you back into a special minority of people....

afj - 12/9/09 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pajsh

A new R1 is, I understand, about £12k. You can get quite alot of car for that. (OK so not the same preformance but you get my point)

I was watching "twist the throttle" last week that said a bike (honda factory) takes 100 minutes to build. Not alot of labour in that then.

around 9k for a new 1litre bike i dont think thats bad- titainium exhaust and other engine bits and constant development most bikes are updated or upgraded every 2 years where cars are up to 10 years between changes
take the ford ka same car from 1996 ish to 2009 13 years and they only changed from a cvh to a little duratec imagine buying a new bike now that was largly unchanged since 96

anyway back on topic BECs beat CECs so there

iank - 12/9/09 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pajsh

I'd imagine the 100minutes means assembly of just the bike and they have their suppliers deliver complete ready to bolt on sub-assemblies.

So for example the engine comes from another factory with all the electrics in place and just needs a couple of bolts, control cables and connectors done up. Forks and swing arms the same. Just connect hydraulics and bolt in place.

02GF74 - 12/9/09 at 10:59 AM

I think bike parts are more expsnsive too.

quick look on ebay shows
r1 full gasket set £ 120
zetec £ 50
crossflow £ 27