im off to test launch a chipboard boat Rescued attachment canoe1.JPG
Rescued attachment canoe1.JPG

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 09:27 AM

. Rescued attachment canoe2.JPG
Rescued attachment canoe2.JPG

prawnabie - 12/9/09 at 09:29 AM

haha good luck!

Miks15 - 12/9/09 at 09:35 AM

good luck, expect to see videos of the success/failure later!

iank - 12/9/09 at 09:44 AM

Good luck, I suspect you're going to need it.
Youtube it!

Dusty - 12/9/09 at 09:47 AM

Just realized I have a whole flotilla of those in my kitchen. Not so pointy ended as yours. Good luck. May find it's single use only. Wear a wetsuit!

MikeRJ - 12/9/09 at 09:53 AM

A double-ended coffin for a conehead surely?

BenB - 12/9/09 at 10:01 AM

Cool! Good luck

Hope the water's warm for you!!!

rusty nuts - 12/9/09 at 10:32 AM

Remember , a captain is supposed to go down with his ship ,

55ant - 12/9/09 at 10:38 AM

good luck! what you expecting out of that beast? 20-25 knots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBr8bHuZ1k

i reckon you may have the same problem as the first boat.

Confused but excited. - 12/9/09 at 11:06 AM

I recon those bins will make it ride too high in the water.

Guinness - 12/9/09 at 11:46 AM

Has it rained that much in Leeds?

Mike

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 11:51 AM

diabolically unstable but i managed one width of the aire and calder navigation!

Too narrow i guess, next one will be wider!

No good pics because it was to unstable to take a camera out in! Rescued attachment canoe3.JPG
Rescued attachment canoe3.JPG

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Just realized I have a whole flotilla of those in my kitchen. Not so pointy ended as yours. Good luck. May find it's single use only. Wear a wetsuit!

well spotted, it is indeed made from a kitchen larder unit!

MikeRJ - 12/9/09 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
diabolically unstable but i managed one width of the aire and calder navigation!

Having a completely flat bottom (the canoe...not you!) probably doesn't help.

Did you build this on a whim or is there some kind of race you are entering?

tegwin - 12/9/09 at 02:41 PM

That would be much more stable if you added a couple of bricks underneath the boat almost like a keel... Assuming it still floats, the extra weight low down might help

Hellfire - 12/9/09 at 02:51 PM

No need to make a wider one, just stick a pair of outriggers on it.

Phil

MikeR - 12/9/09 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
No need to make a wider one, just stick a pair of outriggers on it.

Phil

just what i was thinking.

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 03:00 PM

it was a bit of a whim - basically, ive been drawing boats for years but never get round to making one, so i thought id just throw something together. Im actually quite chuffed TBH, its my first boat and it worked!

Ive thought of outriggers and a keel but if im honest, chipboard isnt the ideal material for a boat anyway. Its all chipped up where i dragged it out over the stonework. Only used it because it was free! I suppose i could glass over it and add an outrigger, but i fancy something in ply now, and eventually something with a sail - or maybe a metal canal boat!

Fantastic fun though, the looks some people pulled as they walked past!

zilspeed - 12/9/09 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
it was a bit of a whim - basically, ive been drawing boats for years but never get round to making one, so i thought id just throw something together. Im actually quite chuffed TBH, its my first boat and it worked!

Ive thought of outriggers and a keel but if im honest, chipboard isnt the ideal material for a boat anyway. Its all chipped up where i dragged it out over the stonework. Only used it because it was free! I suppose i could glass over it and add an outrigger, but i fancy something in ply now, and eventually something with a sail - or maybe a metal canal boat!

Fantastic fun though, the looks some people pulled as they walked past!

Joel.

If working wood is your thing (kitchens etc IIRC ? )

why don't you go down the lines of

Making a buck followed by a mould then a finished boat in GRP ?

You must have access to lots of builders foam for squirting into the floaty bits.

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 06:31 PM

not a bad idea zil, esp since my friend is a wizard with GRP. Think its ply next though, just for a tender sized thing for some exploring without needing a waterway permit. GRP for the sailing boat!

MikeRJ - 12/9/09 at 07:44 PM

My uncle made a little powerboat from marine ply some years back. He used the stitch and glue technique.

Was a cracking little boat when he finished, had modest (~9hp) outboard motor with proper remote steering and throttle etc. I remember that part of the mounting that the engine swivels on was broken...he cast his own using a pile of old tractor pistons for alloy and oxy-acetylene to melt them.

JoelP - 12/9/09 at 08:09 PM

good link mike! cheers.