Board logo

How to tell the difference
duttonbrian2 - 24/9/09 at 09:05 PM

Just bought a chassis (second hand) via the well known auction site. Problem is I don't know what I have got, can someone tell me how to differentiate between the two chassis i.e. Haynes Roadster and the Locost.

nib1980 - 24/9/09 at 09:08 PM

most likely if you post a link to it or some pictures i'm sure we can help

Steve Hignett - 24/9/09 at 09:17 PM

Measure the width;
Locost = 1067
Haynes = 1118

duttonbrian2 - 24/9/09 at 09:20 PM

I was hoping there were some critica dimensions that would define the chassis. I have already fitted the engine and box, fitted new wishbones to the front on slightly different locations, re-located an MR2 rack (no bumpsteer). Next step is the column, but the position will partly depend on the scuttle. When buying the body panels I don't know what to spec. Is there a difference in width's and heights?

duttonbrian2 - 24/9/09 at 09:25 PM

The question is answered the chassis is 42" 1066mm wide so it's a Locost.
So; Where can I buy body panels at an attractive price

omega0684 - 24/9/09 at 09:35 PM

get back on your well known auction site

RK - 24/9/09 at 09:45 PM

Check for locost parts on that site, and when you don't find it, go to someone like AMG sportscars or another manufacturer of same parts. The body panels will come up on Fleabay eventually, but if you can't wait, there is always someone selling them. Put up wanted posts here.

A second hand fibreglass part that needs a bit of glass repair can be had for very cheap. So keep an eye out.

duttonbrian2 - 24/9/09 at 09:52 PM

Can someone confirm the width's of the chassis. I read somewhere that the Haynes was 42" wide.

ReMan - 24/9/09 at 11:26 PM

The Roadster takes a Sierra Independant rear end

MakeEverything - 25/9/09 at 07:54 AM

The front is different on the Haynes to the Locost i think. The Collins is different again.

Put some pictures up, and you will get a definitive answer.

MikeRJ - 25/9/09 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by duttonbrian2
Can someone confirm the width's of the chassis. I read somewhere that the Haynes was 42" wide.

The Locost is 42 inches wide which is ~1066mm. The Haynes Roadster chassis is 2 inches wider.

A "book" Locost chassis is designed for a live axle, the Haynes is designed for independent suspension. If there are no diff/wishbone mounting areas on the chassis at the rear than you can be sure it's not a Haynes.

[Edited on 25/9/09 by MikeRJ]

James - 25/9/09 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by duttonbrian2

The Locost is 42 inches wide which is ~1066mm. The Haynes Roadster chassis is 2 inches wider.

A "book" Locost chassis is designed for a live axle, the Haynes is designed for independent suspension. If there are no diff/wishbone mounting areas on the chassis at the rear than you can be sure it's not a Haynes.

Finally a comprehensive answer!

But to be honest, there are so many variations of these that some random chassis off ebay could be anything!!! It's a hobby which encourages customisation and thinking 'outside of the box'.

My Locost is 4" wider than standard and ~10" longer. I'm sure there will be Haynes chassis out there that are 2" narrower so stick to Locost sizes. I know of 2" wider Locost chassis' too.

Without pictures and a little info (ebay link would be a start!!!) I would say you're risking not getting a definitive answer.

Cheers,
James

Humbug - 25/9/09 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
The front is different on the Haynes to the Locost i think. The Collins is different again.

Put some pictures up, and you will get a definitive answer.

...more likely several definitive answers

duttonbrian2 - 25/9/09 at 06:39 PM

Many thanks for all who have replied, I have since found and downloaded the book "How to build your own sports car for as little as £250 and race it" by Ron Champion. The dimensions seem to match up, The Book is published by Haynes so I assumed this would make it a Haynes Roadster, tell me if I'm wrong.
The chassis was originaly set up for a live axle, now has a Mazda MX5 diff and wishbones. I guess the bodywork from a Locost will fit if it's 42" wide.

duttonbrian2 - 25/9/09 at 06:49 PM

I can't figure out how to send the Ebay link but here is the Item number 200374728026. If you can find the item, the description explains why there's confusion.

rusty nuts - 25/9/09 at 07:18 PM

quote:

Luego locost chassis whilst not quite "book" uses a Sierra diff

Marcus - 25/9/09 at 07:33 PM

Hi Duttonbrian, the fact that it matches up with the Ron Champion book doesn't make it a Haynes Roadster, that title belongs to the Chris Gibbs book also published by Haynes....confused?
The Champion book is a bona fide Locost, often referred to as a 'book chassis'. This is 42" wide with 12" high chassis floor to top.
The Haynes roadster is 44" wide with independant rear suspension.
HTH

Marcus - 25/9/09 at 07:37 PM

Just looked at ebay listing..

linky thing

and as far as I can see it's deffo a Champion book chassis.

kj - 26/9/09 at 07:16 AM

yep its a ron champion

MikeRJ - 26/9/09 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

Luego locost chassis whilst not quite "book" uses a Sierra diff

Note that I said the absence of diff mountings means it's definitely not a Haynes, it doesn't prove that it's not some other Locost derived chassis!