Board logo

what a evening
Angus180 - 1/10/09 at 08:29 PM

hi guys what a evening, finally got my car running picked up a friend went for a spin, almost lost it on a wet corner must be a spring, then was on my own coming bk exhaust snapped where it goes from 4 to the 1 section then got fuel and got pulled over by the police and my tax ran out yesterday but i got away with it then raced a gsxr 600 which was so slow bikes seems a joke. lol

tomgregory2000 - 1/10/09 at 08:30 PM

that was lucky with the fuzz

graememk - 1/10/09 at 08:32 PM

lucky man, now quickly go play the lottery.

prawnabie - 1/10/09 at 08:46 PM

So you raced a bike after the exhaust splitting, almost losing it and being caught with no tax (therefore insurance)?

I can thing of better things for you other than playing the lottery!

McLannahan - 1/10/09 at 08:47 PM

Where did you get pulled Angus?

I'm out of MOT now

nick205 - 1/10/09 at 08:55 PM

doesn't sound the smartest of evenings to me!

big_wasa - 1/10/09 at 08:58 PM

You know you will now need to tax it or the dvla WILL catch up with you.

mistergrumpy - 1/10/09 at 09:05 PM

I'm just back from Preston just over 16 miles away for the Robin Hood and all comers meet. This is the furthest away I've taken my car and just as I pulled into the pub car park the soldered nipple came off my clutch cable Luckily Gav pulled in behind me to help get it out of gear and push me. I managed to get a tie wrap and an electrical connector off one of the RH owners and we fixed it long enough to get me home but I was twitching a bit making my way to the motorway! I'd slipped the gearchange mech on the gear input stub jabbing at it when I'd stopped too which means the gearstick was hitting the tunnel when I was trying to change gears.
All fun ... or so I'm told!!

AdrianH - 1/10/09 at 09:24 PM

Good to see you at the meet mistergrumpy. Hope to joing you all soon on the road in something other then the tintop.

Adrian

rallyingden - 1/10/09 at 10:13 PM

Only found out about the meet at the poachers tonight from Bob W.
Will be there next month even if it may be the last meet of the year.

RD

Gav - 2/10/09 at 08:36 AM

I dont think my Little bike engine rectifier can cope with the load from the fan, main beam, side light and digi dash, voltage had dropped to 9.5v by the time i got home! dont think i would of managed another mile.

JoelP - 3/10/09 at 06:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
no tax (therefore insurance)?

not so! Tax doesnt affect insurance.

mistergrumpy - 3/10/09 at 08:45 AM

In most cases if you read the insurance small print they state that you are only covered if your car is fully mot'd and taxed and therefore road legal.
In reality I know of one or two people who have had their car crashed and written off and the insurance has asked them to supply a valid tax disc and they've just blagged it and got away.

franky - 3/10/09 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Angus180
hi guys what a evening, finally got my car running picked up a friend went for a spin, almost lost it on a wet corner must be a spring, then was on my own coming bk exhaust snapped where it goes from 4 to the 1 section then got fuel and got pulled over by the police and my tax ran out yesterday but i got away with it then raced a gsxr 600 which was so slow bikes seems a joke. lol

I think the bike might have just been making normal progress

doesn't matter what you drive you'll never be quicker than a bike in a straight line.

MikeRJ - 3/10/09 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
In most cases if you read the insurance small print they state that you are only covered if your car is fully mot'd and taxed and therefore road legal.

IME very few insurers have this wording in their policy. It usually states the car must be properly maintained, but usually no specific MOT or tax requirements. Since you are exempt from MOT and tax for the purposes of driving to and from an MOT center this would make it impossible to MOT your car if it ever lapsed.

[Edited on 3/10/09 by MikeRJ]

wilkingj - 3/10/09 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

IME very few insurers have this wording in their policy. It usually states the car must be properly maintained, but usually no specific MOT or tax requirements. Since you are exempt from MOT and tax for the purposes of driving to and from an MOT center this would make it impossible to MOT your car if it ever lapsed.

[Edited on 3/10/09 by MikeRJ]

Regardless of whether its in the fine print, an insurer will look for any way to avoid or reduce their payout.
Their reasoning would be simple. The car was not legally on the road, therefore the driver is liable for some of the risk, as it was not legally on the road.

DO NOT take these sort of risks. If it all went T*T's up, you could loose almost every penny you earn for the rest of your life.
Could you afford to pay a £5 million damage claim for putting someone in an Iron Lung for the rest of their life?
You would be paying out forever!

I for one wouldnt be happy if you just dented my car and your insurance refused ot pay out.
A lot worse could happen.

I have also noticed that the "you can drive any other car not belonging to you or not hired under a HP agreement" is now... "only in an emergency"

So check with your insurers (best in writing) to see if this applies with your insurer.
Thats another reduction in their liability.

Like most companies, they are all looking to reduce their costs.

Just my 2d's worth.

Ninehigh - 3/10/09 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I have also noticed that the "you can drive any other car not belonging to you or not hired under a HP agreement" is now... "only in an emergency"

Thing is define "emergency"
It would suggest to me an example like:
I'm out with the missus and we've taken her car. Something happens and she's bleeding like mad, so I take her to the hospital in her car rather than wait for an ambulance. If I was to be pulled by the plod do you think they'd impound the car cos I'm not insured? (I'd be happy to get the b***ocking later just not while someone's dying)