Board logo

OK lets forget Silicone Hoses
rallyingden - 8/10/09 at 07:21 AM

Like above .
I am looking to plumb the cooling system and initially chose silicone hoses as they were easy to buy ( and they do look good) but keeping it locost and using rubber hoses is fine with me BUT
Where do yo get a selection of 90 deg 45 deg etc hoses in rubber 32 mm dia

Cheers RD

iank - 8/10/09 at 07:30 AM

CBS sell them http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/90-degree-hoses-216-c.asp
and
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/32mm-wiggly-hose-h32wig-1101-p.asp

But probably cheaper to cut up OEM hoses if you can find a part number that has a bunch of useful bends.

rallyingden - 8/10/09 at 07:33 AM

Poo
Same price as Rally Design silicone jobbies.
Good idea about cutting stock hoses I will check that out

RD

Lurch88 - 8/10/09 at 07:37 AM

I went down the scrappy and bought a hand full for Beer tokens.

Slater - 8/10/09 at 07:55 AM

Me too, 1 visit to the scrap yard with a hacksaw and a shopping list, came away with 2 carrier bags of assorted hoses for £5, very cheap and I've got lots of spares too.

franky - 8/10/09 at 07:59 AM

shame most of them aren't as small as I need them, ie 32mm.

I think for complex bends a piece of flexible pipe works out cheaper than paying for bends and joints.

Just an idea.

02GF74 - 8/10/09 at 08:00 AM

to be honest I would push the boat out for the silicone hose, I did.

probably cost me in region of £ 50 .... but I've yet to hear anyone have problems or a silicone hose fail, in fact we have seen they survive an engine fire pretty well!

for the longevity and reliability, it is worth spending the extra; cut down on the takeaways and beer for a week or two and job done.

omega0684 - 8/10/09 at 08:08 AM

get silicone hosing off ebay, the sellers always seem to be having a price war and trying to get rid of the stuff!

bigpig - 8/10/09 at 08:14 AM

I got mine off ebay. I think I've got near a whole spare set to plumb a pinto (After going a bit enthusiastic).

I think I've got a couple of 90, a 135, some straight + ally couplings.

I went the scrappy route originally (bought a whole load for 5 quid) and chopped them up. This made a nice template to work out what I needed (then I bought double the amount being a bit "over refreshed" whilst using ebay)

40inches - 8/10/09 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigpig
(then I bought double the amount being a bit "over refreshed" whilst using ebay)

Anyone NOT been there?

RK - 8/10/09 at 12:51 PM

Silicone goes on way easier if that is any help in your decision. WAYYYYY easier!!!!

franky - 8/10/09 at 03:13 PM

I've just brought some 1m lengths of flexible silicone hose off ebay... £25 per M with 10% paypal discount.

This works out cheaper than using rubber hoses with various bends and joining tubes. Have you thought about doing that? I means a full set of custom hoses in silicone including T pieces/bleed hoses/quality hose clips will cost about £130 all in with pipe left to sell after

To do the same with bends was going to cost about £200 in silicone and the about £135 in rubber

dhutch - 8/10/09 at 04:13 PM

Always have a rummage in the '£1 hoses' bin at car shows.
- Lots of new hoses, all sort of bends adapters, t's, whatever.

Daniel