Board logo

GKD Legend Six
TimC - 29/10/09 at 04:04 PM

Has anyone formed an opinion on the GKD Legend Six?

As an Alpina driver and having witnessed the performance of the M3s at Silverstone on the weekend, there's no doubt that the thought of a BMW powered racer appeals....

big_wasa - 29/10/09 at 04:10 PM

I like the Legend

speedyxjs - 29/10/09 at 04:12 PM

Looks pretty good. Some six pot cometition for me

pdm - 29/10/09 at 04:14 PM

Hello

Its my aim to build one of these next year - when I enquired I was told any E36/E46 suitable except the M3.

So for an E36 straight six you could have a 325i.

An E36 318is is as powerful as a 320i but lighter so why go for a 320i six at that power level. Both are chain driven cams so no cambelts issues on either.

Would seem to be more in keeping with sevenesque to go for a four pot.

There is a chap on the bristolkitcar club website building one but he only updates slowly - by all accounts though so far its going smoothly.

The only fly in the ointment I can see at the moment is an E36 donor with this nikasil issue if you really want a six - it affects most of the later engines.

Seems 318is or 325i is therefore safest and you'll get 140/189 bhp dependent on choice.

TimC - 29/10/09 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hello

Its my aim to build one of these next year - when I enquired I was told any E36/E46 suitable except the M3.

An E36 318is is as powerful as a 320i but lighter so why go for a 320i six at that power level. Both are chain driven cams so no cambelts issues on either.

There is a chap on the bristolkitcar club website building one but he only updates slowly - by all accounts though so far its going smoothly.

The only fly in the ointment I can see at the moment is an E36 donor with this nikasil issue if you really want a six - it affects most of the later engines.

Seems 318is or 325i is therefore safest and you'll get 140/189 bhp dependent on choice.

Are you sure he didn't mean that the E46 M3 is unsuitable? The 328i, 3.0 M3, 3.2 Evo and B3 3.2 are closely related. 189bhp isn't worth the effort in my opinion. 240bhp plus....

pdm - 29/10/09 at 04:35 PM

Maybe that's what he meant - best to take it direct from GKD to clarify really rather than my second hand story !!! He was certainly really helpful even though my enquiry was really really early.

Thing is if you start off with an M3, once it's on the road you havent got much scope for tuning it or fettling it in those long dark winters !

At 240ish+ bhp you're getting on for 380 bhp per tonne - that's certainly going to be reasonably quick I would have thought !!

TimC - 29/10/09 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Thing is if you start off with an M3, once it's on the road....

Road not required....

pdm - 29/10/09 at 04:45 PM

True enough indeed and what a track weapon you'd end up with..

vinny1275 - 29/10/09 at 04:52 PM

mmmmmm

E36 3.2 Evo engine in there - 320 bhp. Might need to find out if they do wider rear arches to cope with massive tyres....

StevieB - 29/10/09 at 06:08 PM

The idea appeals to me too, if only because it's a bit different as much as anything else.

With regard to tuning/winter upgrades - you can forget about the need to tune the engine if using M3 power and instead concentrate on setup and handling instead. More than 240bhp would just mean shredding tyres.

ETA:

What's the difference between the legend and legend six? Is it the same dims or a wider chassis? That would put me off a bit/

[Edited on 29/10/09 by StevieB]

DavidW - 30/10/09 at 12:31 AM

I have thought about this as the engine in my 530i is just glorious. 231hp as standard, smooth, nice sound, lots of tourque and fairly robust. Might be a bit heavy but I'm not sure how bad.

If you can use donor brakes etc they would be massive on a car like this although again weight might be a problem?

GKDSportsCars - 6/11/09 at 08:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hello

Hi Guys,

The LEGEND Six accepts all E36 and E46 engines including the M3 variants. The main running gear (diff, steering column, etc.) comes from any E36 and E46 except the compact and M3. The reason being that the wheel bearing sizes are bigger on the M3 and and the diff mounts are different... the compact has shorter halfshafts and different diff mounts.

I hope that this helps clarify

Rgards,

Peter

[Edited on 6/11/09 by GKDSportsCars]

GKDSportsCars - 6/11/09 at 09:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I have thought about this as the engine in my 530i is just glorious. 231hp as standard, smooth, nice sound, lots of tourque and fairly robust. Might be a bit heavy but I'm not sure how bad.

If you can use donor brakes etc they would be massive on a car like this although again weight might be a problem?

The LEGEND is designed to use as much from the E36/E46 as possible... including the donor cars discs and brakes (excluding M3) giving 286mm vented front discs (a Cosworth only has 280mm discs :p ) and 280mm rear discs. We can supply uprights to take 300mm discs with 4 pot willwood calipers

Regards,

Peter

GKDSportsCars - 6/11/09 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
The idea appeals to me too, if only because it's a bit different as much as anything else.

With regard to tuning/winter upgrades - you can forget about the need to tune the engine if using M3 power and instead concentrate on setup and handling instead. More than 240bhp would just mean shredding tyres.

ETA:

What's the difference between the legend and legend six? Is it the same dims or a wider chassis? That would put me off a bit/

[Edited on 29/10/09 by StevieB]

Hi,
Everything behind the scuttle is exactly the same... including the width. As the six cylinder engine is longer than that of the four, the wheelbase has had to be increased by approx. 100mm. Apart from that and some extra enhancements to cope with the extra torque that the six cylinder engines have, everything else is the same (wishbones, fuel tank, etc. etc.)

Regards,
Peter