Board logo

Where to get steel "cups" from.
smart51 - 4/11/09 at 04:16 PM

I'm going to be making some chassis braces for my cappuccino. The ends need to be a bit of tube, say 28mm or bigger ID and perhaps 50mm long with a closed end, drilled to take the mounting bolt. I could make these by cutting up a tube into small bits and welding a plate on one end but if I can pick up these pieces from somewhere, It'll save me some work.

Hopefully someone on here will say "cut the ends of a widget thing, that's what you want". The best I can think of is hole saws with the teeth ground off but I think the flat bit is probably not flat enough and has rounded shoulders.

Any bright ideas?

locoboy - 4/11/09 at 08:14 PM

If your planning on welding these onto something else i wouldn't advocate welding anything onto hole saws.

They wil be made of high carbon steel no doubt and may not weld very well.

smart51 - 4/11/09 at 10:32 PM

Useful advice. Shame as they're £3.00 each on eBay.

MikeR - 5/11/09 at 08:39 AM

have you phoned the metal supermarket - they're expensive but as you only buy what steel you want you can save money.

If you need someone to weld them shout and i'll have a go.

Grimsdale - 5/11/09 at 08:39 AM

any steel pipe supplier should be able to supply threaded end caps for various pipe diameters. OK you probably wont have the facilites to thread the pipe but i am sure you can still weld them on. Last lot i bought were a few quid each for approx 50mm id.